1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accidentally leading someone on..

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AuroraBorealis, Dec 12, 2016.

1. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like everything about this story is going to make me sound like a complete jerk, but it's something that I've always struggled with...letting people know you're not interested without hurting their feelings and I recognize that if they're into you, I guess that's impossible.

Yesterday, I received a message on Facebook, saying "Hey, you have a beautiful smile." I don't know this girl personally, all I know about her is where she works, goes to school, and she's a lesbian. I feel arrogant when I say that she's not my usually type, because I try not to be that way, stuck on types, because ultimately that's not what I feel is important, but in all honesty, she's just not. That being said, there's nothing wrong with her, it's just as the moment goes, wouldn't really consider dating her, but I do feel obligated to thank her for the compliment. I thank her, and we began to talk just normal conversation, work, school, interests...the only thing we really have in common is we both watch this one TV show, really there was no romantic inclination in the conversation that we had.

Well, today, she messages me "Hey so sorry gorgeous I fell asleep" "hey doll" Which automatically makes me uncomfortable, if I'm not dating or interested in someone romantically, I don't want to be called by a pet name, I responded with "Oh it's okay, I understand, I fell asleep too." This makes me feel like an asshole, but that was the point I kind of started putting her messages off, because we went from no romantic inclination to calling me pet names, well I went to check Facebook not long ago and I have a message from her "If you don't want to talk, that's fine, I just thought we clicked" When I don't think we clicked at all, not even to hangout as friends really, she's very nice, but I just don't feel like I could actually sit down and have a "real" conversation with her and us be on the same page. I told her I don't mind talking to her, but I didn't tell her I'm not interested, because I don't want to hurt her feelings. Not only am I not interested in her, but I'm not looking for a relationship :eusa_doh: I don't know whether I'm leading her on(not on purpose) or she's reading too far into just friendly conversation...anyway, help?

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey its understandable that you find it hard and dont want to hurt anyone's feelings but the sooner you do it the less hurting gets done. Some people throw pet names out to people they aren't romantically interested in although I think thats probably not the case here.
    The best thing you can do is just write her a message saying that you are flattered by her compliments and you dont mind talking but that you are not interested in dating her.

3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do her a favor and politely cool things down. I've been led on many a time by well-meaning people who (to be charitable to them) just didn't know what to say, or how to say it. And I got hurt. Don't be that person.

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just be honest with her. It's better to nip things in the bud early on

5. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't agree more. Finding out that you are being led on by someone (intentional or no) is NOT a good feeling. Please let the person know (gently of course) that you are not interested. It will spare a lot of future pain for both of you.

6. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm so wishy washy, I'm rethinking whether or not I like her now...what's wrong with me? I think it might be that someone is interested and I haven't been in a relationship in what seems like forever(over a year) but I know that's not an excuse to be with her and I thought I wasn't looking for a relationship. I don't want to like her, but now I wonder what's leaning me towards curiosity. I haven't talked to her about it, I actually haven't talked to her since yesterday morning, she told me she's going on a cruise and would message me when she gets back...maybe that'll give me time to figure myself out or maybe she'll just kind of forget about me, lol.