1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stay in a mediocre relationship or break up and move on?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Hugger115, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Hugger115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, long story short I moved to a new city to study for just one year for a degree. Pretty much as soon as I got here I met a guy and we've been dating exclusively/monogamously ever since (so 3 months now). About a month ago he said he was stressed out about us being 'boyfriends' and being so serious, bla, bla, bla, so we broke up for literally a day or two :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. We were both quite upset though. We said that because we enjoy spending time together, we might as well carry on as whatever we are and just enjoy the time - I'll only be here for a year and he's planning to move to Europe next year too, so it doesn't have to be so serious.

Problem is, I don't know if I'm just wasting my time with him. We find each other mutually OK, but we're just not that compatible. I come across good-looking guys with great personalities sometimes and just think that we'd be a perfect match, but I'm stuck with this other guy. I'm the kind of person that doesn't like being single (because I always end up being heartbroken by someone new every month) or being bored if I stay single (no personal issues, promise :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). So is the stability of a mediocre relationship worth it or should start again from a blank slate?

P.S. I know I'm the only person that can decide, but any advice/ personal stories would help a lot :slight_smile:

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could try having a final talk with this guy before calling it quits. It's possible there's some unresolved feelings here, and/or one or both of you may be hanging on because of some unfinished business in the relationship. If so, get everything on the table, and decide if you really have a reason for continuing the relationship or not, beyond being bored. If so, great, keep things going.

If not, then it could be time to move on. Getting used to a mutual lack of interest as your relationship standard won't do either of you any favors. It's okay to be single and learning more about how to negotiate your own life - including your dating life. :slight_smile:

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In what ways are you not compatible? You may need to move on if you can't solve this, but it doesn't hurt to talk it out first.