1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Time To Come Out To My Parents?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by hptrek314, Dec 17, 2016.

1. hptrek314

I am 20yrs old, my parents pay for college, I live in a one bedroom apartment an hour away in my college town, both myself and my parents are religious, Methodists that tend to be open minded despite living in a conservative area, however my mom tends to talk about one all girls college in my state and calls it a "lesbian college" and typically makes lots of LGBT jokes referring to things/people as being "gay" and our family is close but at the same time we don't really do the whole "deep conversation" thing.. should I tell them I am a lesbian?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It doesn't sound like your parents are intensely homophobic, so coming out should not be so bad as long as they get accurate info and are willing to learn. One thing to keep in mind is to appear sure about your orientation (your profile says bisexual, which many straight people think is just a choice/phase).

3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like you might have an easier time of it than some others who come to this forum. One thing that might help is to use verbs ("I like girls too") rather than nouns ("I am a this-or-that.") It keeps their minds (and yours!) from building categories as if they were walls.

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe test it with hypothetical statements first