1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Date!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by skittleALY, Dec 20, 2016.

1. skittleALY

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi guys,

I came out to my family 2 years ago now and since then have not been on one date with a girl... Well, I finally connected with someone online & we're meeting up tonight! I'm a little nervous though as I have hardly any experience with dating. I've never been out with a girl before, and even before I came out I didn't really date boys.

So I'm 25 years old and just kind of nervous because I have no experience what so ever.

Also I told my mom & she was happy for me but had to add: "you are not out of the closet so if anyone finds out they can out you before you have a chance to yourself and I don't want that to happen to you either."

Is this just a scare tactic that my mom is doing because she's just worried about me?? Yes, I'm only out to my family but it's not like I'm going to go around announcing to people that I'm gay before I even have a relationship. In the past I was scared of other people finding out, as I was worried if it would affect my relationships and career. As of right now if I ran into someone that I know I don't know how I would handle it, as I haven't really been thinking about it. Is there even a proper way to let people other than your family know that you're gay. Do you just let them figure it out for themselves once they see that I'm (maybe) in a relationship with a girl? Is other people outing me really something to worry about??

I will say I was not thinking about that at all until my mom had to say that :icon_sad:

Any words of encouragement or advice is very much appreciated! :icon_bigg

2. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on the first date! I would not worry about people you know seeing you with this girl, mostly because unless you are in the middle of PDA then most people would just think she was a friend. The other reason I would not worry is because you are already out to your family, does anyone else really matter? If someone has a problem with you being Gay then thats their problem not yours.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your Mom is supportive, she could have just been worried about you. If that's the case, just let her know you don't mind being outed by others if you're choosing to go on this date.

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know your mother of course, but it's possible she's just speaking out of concern and not realizing how her words are coming across. As much of a new step as this is for you, it's a new step for her as well, so she could just be adjusting to the idea.

Otherwise, as far as the date, some of the oldest advice really is the best - be yourself! Performing a role that's not you won't get you anywhere in the long run, and besides, dating is supposed to be fun (it doesn't always work out that way, but still, it's supposed to be!).

5. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^^That. Your mom sounds like she cares about you but might be overthinking it all. And it sounds a bit like you suspected as much when you say "I was not thinking about that at all until my mom had to say that". How ironic that even when you were keeping calm and carrying on, she had to go stir things up. But she probably means well. You have been out for two years and she has probably been hoping good things for you.

Also, what Gravity says about fun. I guess the most pervasive force in the Universe has some wisdom, eh?

6. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, congratulations! :icon_bigg

I think Totesgaybrah is right on the money. It is a first date, so most likely there won't be a lot of physicality involved. Just getting to know each other better. And if you hold hands or whatever and people don't like it, you have support from your mom and that is what counts! So what if people stare or make comments. Most likely, they won't even notice you both at this point.

Just be yourself, and don't let these kinds of thoughts ruin your date!

Sebby45

7. skittleALY

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thank you so much to everyone that replied!

This is perfect - thank you so much for this! Next time she mentions something like this (she has said this before to me) I will take your advice.

As for the date, I think it went really well! We walked to a restaurant that was near her house and got drinks and shared a few appetizers. When I got home I texted her to let her know that I had a really good time, she said that she did as well so I mentioned that we should do it again sometime.

Now, as I mentioned before I'm completely new to this... I really want a second date with her & don't want this to just fizzle out. I'm also scared though of seeming extra needy, etc...

How soon is too soon to plan a second date? Should I just put it out there & ask her? I was thinking Friday would be a good day since the holiday is this weekend, and I didn't want to wait almost a whole week to see her again!

Ahh I just don't know how any of this works (and I'm really embarrassed bc I'm 25 & have hardly dated..), but I really like her and want to see where this could go.

8. Linkmaste

Maybe wait a day or two? Im not really a dating doctor but that's just my personal opinion. If you make plans the next day then that's cool. I just wait a few days because I'm pretty busy.

9. Silver Sparrow

Congrats! I'm so glad it went well. If she's replied to your text saying that you two should go on a date again in the affirmative (that is, she texted you something that means she would also like to go on another date), you might consider replying with something like "I'm glad! When is a good time for you to meet?" That way, the proverbial ball is in her court.

10. Lynz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi SkittleALY!

So glad to hear your first date went well!

For me, I've found the best way is to chat just like I do with friends. Text lots, ask some questions, have a giggle, share some fun stuff, ask some more questions, get to know her. Then throw in the "so when do you fancy meeting again?".

On the date, do the same :slight_smile: questions, fun, compliments, questions. Let her talk about herself. Talk about what you like. Music, movies, hobbies, interests, friends, family. Just like with friends. Just be you! Then hold her hand and just enjoy each other's company. Everything else will fall into place :slight_smile:

Enjoy! New relationship times are so awesome :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

11. skittleALY

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So I texted her today to see how her day is going, but haven't really been hearing from her. It took over an hour for her to reply back to my first text, and after that all her texts have been sporadic. I wanted to see if she wanted to get together on friday, but I'm not sure now if I should ask her or not. I thought it went really well, but maybe she didn't...

12. Really

I don't think you can read anything into her "slow" response. She could be busy or not want to seem too eager. Ask her. If she doesn't want to go, let her tell you that. With words. :wink:

13. Linkmaste

I sometimes forget people text me and take forever to respond. Don't worry too much over it. I think she's just like me and forgetful. :slight_smile:

14. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe she's busy. There are people out there who don't text very fast/often, including myself- even when I AM interested. There's no way of knowing unless you ask her.

15. skittleALY

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thank you guys! I was getting in my own head today, and when I mentioned it to my sister (who then told my mom) they both told me to not even ask her for second date. They both then proceeded to tell me to "be careful" if people see me basically. Since it was brought up again I decided to let them know that them saying that bothers me, and I don't mind if people see me.

My mom seems to think that people will then go around talking about me, and told me that I haven't "come out" to everyone yet. I tried to let her know that I'm not going to go around telling random people that I'm gay, and that I don't mind people seeing. To me, that's a way to come out. She seems to think that if people that I'm not straight it will be very bad for me, while for me I've been seeing a lot of people being very accepting around where I live. She got upset with me however when I asked her not to say that again to me.

I haven't heard from her in awhile now, but I think I'll text her tomorrow & see about meeting up one more time. I'd rather at least try and have her say no then be left thinking what if.

16. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should text her about meeting up at least. If she doesn't reply, then she just might not be interested. I know personally, when I get texts, I'll always reply if It's important. I don't always reply if people want to strike conversation, simply because I don't like convo text and would rather they call me or try to meet up. So it depends on the situation. I'd only consider it a red flag if she completely blows off meeting up.

17. skittleALY

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    How does this sound to send to her? Is it too needy?

Hey so I had a really good time the other night, and would love to get together again to get to know you more. I was wondering if you wanted to do something tomorrow (or I was wondering if I could take you out tomorrow?)

I definitely know I'm overthinking this, I'm normally a very confident person but I've been so ok with being alone for so long that when I found someone finally that I hit it off with and am attracted to I'm scared to let it slip by.

And I'm probably being a little paranoid too because for the last week and a half I've been waiting for a letter to be mailed to me (it'll be sent on 12/27) letting me know if I've moved on to the next round of interviews for a job that I've applied for. I thought I did well but all this waiting is going to my head and I just feel so off right now.

Thank you for this! I am planning on texting her today, maybe around 1pm? Granted we only actually started talking on Sunday before we met up Tuesday night, but before we met she was a pretty consistent texter. But I see what you mean, I myself am a pretty bad texter usually & sometimes forget to even text people back.

I guess I'm just feeling a little insecure right now since it was my first date with a girl and I really liked her.. It took me a long time for myself to accept my sexuality, I really struggled with accepting myself. I kind of accidentally came out to my mom (who then told my dad & siblings..), but since then I feel like I've become almost a whole different person and am so at peace with myself. However, my family saying stuff like be careful if people see you and I guess the fear of being rejected when I finally was able to put myself out there is bringing back old feelings.

18. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, just want to say that your feelings are normal. When we're infatuated with someone, we want to see the person all the time and can easily assume they're not as interested in us if they don't communicate back as fast. Sometimes I've been guilty of that myself. I just say to go with the flow!

The response seems fine to me. Hopefully she'll respond and you can have another good time out.

19. Linkmaste

Hey its totally cool I'm a spazz when it comes to dates and ladies too. I did one date and it went well but I'm not ready yet. But texting her was like over thinking something really simple.

I'm glad you came so far you sound very comfortable with yourself. :slight_smile:

20. skittleALY

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    That is exactly me... I just texted her to see if I could take her out tomorrow. Now I'm anxiously awaiting a response... So we'll see! Hopefully she answers me, I'd rather have an answer at least even if it's no. But I'm glad I tried to ask at least.