1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parent issues

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Georgia111, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Georgia111

My dad thinks my bisexuality is just a phase and thinks I will end up being gay or straight. What can I say to prove to him that I'm sure of myself and it's not just a phase?

2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think that there is much you can say to persuade your dad about being bisexual. Bisexuality isn't really commonly understood. So, to your dad you will look either straight or gay. He may start to get the picture however, if you do wind up in a relationship with both genders (not at the same time!)

You are sure of yourself and that is what matters. It is a big milestone to find yourself.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance. I'm sure there are others on this forum that may be able to help.

Sebby45

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey sss,

Check out these sites for resources to help you explain bisexuality to him.

The Bisexual Index

Bisexual Resource Center

Also, if you might consider finding a local Chapter of PFLAG and see if he'd be willing to attend a support group meeting or at least talk to them about resources to explain bisexuality. (Also, PFLAG has a pamphlet online called "Our Children" that you could perhaps download and print for him:
    Our Children

4. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like Sebby said. My parents think the same thing.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a thought: Why does it matter?

What's important is that you know who you are. Whether someone else, even a parent, doesn't share your understanding of who you are really doesn't matter in the long run. What matters is that you feel comfortable.

You might consider, next time he says that, saying "I understand you hold a viewpoint different from mine. It really isn't necessary or appropriate that I somehow "prove" this to you, and I'd appreciate it if you could just respect my viewpoint and not try to invalidate it.

6. Georgia111

Thanks for the advice everyone! It definitely helped. I guess you're all right...all that matters is that I know who I am.

---------- Post added 21st Dec 2016 at 06:16 PM ----------

Oh! and thank u Quantumreality, i will definitely use those sites :slight_smile: