1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet dating.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by nightowl88, Dec 25, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so I have no idea how to go about dating online. It's going to be awhile before I start any relationships or anything as well. But I started talking to someone the other day who seems to be really interested in a future relationship. I take a while to really get feelings for someone but I already like her and she doesn't care that I'm trans which is even better. I just want some advice for going about this type of stuff I'm extremely careful so I don't need the warnings of catfish and everything I get those constantly from my family. Thanks for any help.

2. warrior452

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Um, somewhat new to it myself, but I have been doing it for a few months. Just be careful what sites you use - I've found that not all put your best interests first, and some take more care to make sure you have a good experience; some don't. Go for it - just be careful. Make sure you've seen a picture of her. Get to know personal details - age, where they're from, interests, family, etc. I like to text/message them for a little bit to get to know them. If it's going well, ask for their number. See if you can facetime or video chat. If they're reluctant for you to see them in real time (even if they're giving what seems like a plausible answer) then you need to walk away. It can be a great way to get to know people - just go for it, but be smart.

---------- Post added 25th Dec 2016 at 09:51 AM ----------

If you sense that something's up, most sites have some sort of reporting feature where you can report the person.

3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there,

It may just be me, but I don't like the idea of online dating. Too many risk factors. How do you know the person is telling you the truth? If you can video chat that is good, but is that really what the person is like? Then at some point you will have to meet...and you might not like what you see.

Just some thoughts (I'm paranoid, can't you tell!) on the subject. What your ultimate decision is is up to you, but be very cautious in your approach. For example, don't tell them everything about yourself, only to have them tell you a few tid bits about their life. I'm sure you get the picture. :icon_wink

Good luck,

Sebby45

---------- Post added 25th Dec 2016 at 09:35 AM ----------

Sorry, I just reviewed your post again and I guess I gave you the family lecture! Not my intention...my apologies.

4. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. I know there are a lot of risks. I try to be very careful. My intention is not dating but I've made a friend that a really like and she has expressed interest in me so I was looking for information just to help. I'm not going to be using any sites or anything specifically for dating.

5. oboe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I saw an app called Distinc.tt on Reddit today and downloaded it this morning. It's essentially a dating app for LGBT teenagers. I signed up for an account as had multiple people message me already just looking to chat. I found some people on there from my area and even one that went to my school. I ended up chatting with two of them and we're getting along really well. I'm not looking to date but they seem like they would make great friends.

Give it a try and see how it goes.