1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by carpenoctem308, Dec 26, 2016.

1. carpenoctem308

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My family is very religious. I live in Utah, which is known for the Mormons, including my parents. My dad was a bishop for 5 years and grew up in a very religious family as well. My mom is also very strict when it comes to church.
    The problem is, I just don't believe in the things I'm taught. I feel unwelcome and unwanted, and I don't enjoy going. I don't really have any friends there, and the people are so judgemental and homophobic. My parents think I believe in everything and that I'm this good church girl despite me being gay. I feel like I'm living two different lives, and I can't take it any more. I want to tell them that I'm done going to church, but I don't know how. I have a decent relationship with my parents, but I still struggle talking to them about things. I'm just not sure how to go about telling them this. Has anyone done something like this of have any advice?

2. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did exactly that when I was 16. I can't say anyone ever accepted it, but I don't think I caused anyone to stop loving me either. Feeling that your parents might be disappointed in you isn't ever an easy feeling to deal with no matter how old you get.

Sorry I don't really have any good advice on how to go about talking to them. I didn't have a good relationship and one day just refused to go unless they were going to physically drag me.