1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showing too much interest

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sen1234, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Sen1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why do we tend to become less interested in someone who shows a lot of interest in us? I met this girl online, who attends the same college as me, and we started texting each other. We've been talking for a couple weeks now but we haven't met in person because we're on winter break. She seems really interested in me. Almost too interested. I could tell that she really wanted to be something more because of the words she would use and stuff like that. However it became to much at a certain point. I felt like she was way more into me than I was towards her. I stopped communicating with her but eventually started talking to her again. Her constant affection and flattering words almost feel like a turn off. I don't get why I feel this way.

2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seneca,

Your feelings may be a sign that you need to back away from this person. Being interested is one thing and shows possible compatibility as a friend or lover. Being way too eager could be a sign that this person is not really interested in you, but what they can gain for themselves (a hook-up for example).

This is just the feeling I got when I read your post. It may be that this girl is naturally an exuberant person. But I would be cautious. Especially since you already broke off communication once. "Listen to your gut."

Sebby45

3. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Have you told her that you don't feel comfortable with the way that she talks to you? If you tell her this then there's a chance that she will lay off on her persistence. If not, then you should probably distance yourself from her for good. Her eagerness is somewhat unsettling, and it's possible that she has another motive besides developing a relationship with you. I would be cautious if I were you.

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree.

I don't like the rules people create about texting (like "oh, i'm going to wait 5 hours before answering or i'll appear desperate!"). I think everything needs to flow naturally.

However, if you are feeling uncomfortable with her actions, it is perfectly ok to be honest and tell her that (in a polite way, of course). If it doesn't help, then you may consider distancing yourself.