1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fights with parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mlansing, Dec 27, 2016.

1. mlansing

I'm staying with my parents for a few weeks and things are generally good but then I feel like verbal fights keep popping up about my homosexuality. Either parent may express something hurtful and/or offensive against gay people or other minorities and I feel that I need to stand up for myself but it's hard and I'm tired of fighting. Sometimes I can let comments go but other times I just feel backed into a corner and I have to speak my mind. I love my parents but this can be so draining :icon_sad:

2. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Why are you staying with your parents? If you don't want to continue fighting with them, then why not leave?

3. mlansing

My parents live far away from me so I'm here on an extended stay. Planning to be here this long was probably a mistake :/

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you need to have a definitive conversation with your parents about your homosexuality and how they should treat their son. If your parents already know about you being homosexual then they need to come to grips with it or deal with the consequences of not supporting their child. You don't have to put up with their insults just because they're your parents.

My suggestion is that you sit down with your parents and tell them how disrespected you feel when they make those comments, and explain that if they want you to stay and continue to be active in their life then they need to respect who you are. If you're already out to your parents, there's no reason to beat around the bush.