1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is he even interested in me or playing me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Xc220, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Xc220

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So for the last month I've been seeing a Brazilian guy who is over here learning English. Now I'm an English teacher so the communication isn't much a problem and I've plenty of patience. It started with him messaging me on ******* and honestly, I was quite surprised. Hand to God, I'm really not that good-looking and this lad is so far out my league it's laughable. I was showing his picture to my best mate and even she was jealous I was going on a date with him. Anyway, first date was grand, we met in a gay bar, had a drink, talked and in the end hooked up. Went well and he messaged me saying how he had fun, I was cute etc. etc. The next meet, same again, and again. I was actually falling for him, and despite my insecurities having me in a sweat with each message wondering if I was saying the right thing, or annoying him too much and just wondering what it was he sees in me, I kept going at it. The last meet was last week, and we met and went for a walk in the park. It was actually really nice, we walked, held hands and then we just stopped at one point and he pulled me close and we kissed...a lot...and then just stood there with his arms wrapped around me. It was a moment I've actually never had because I just don't get relationships happening yet alone several dates with the one guy.
    Now despite all of this, I just can't accept he may actually like me. Now this week, we arranged to meet up Wednesday gone. We were joking on Monday saying how we should push the boundaries and meet up maybe three times this week, which he was happy to do. I've arranged each meet up, except for our first date, and so when Wednesday arrived, I wanted to test a theory and not text him first but rather wait and see when he would. Sure enough I was left waiting...and waiting...and waiting. It got to around 7pm with no word, and I just text him saying "So much for a meet up today I guess, anywho, enjoy your evening". He replied pretty dam quick saying how he had to stay at home because several people were coming to view the apartment...but could he not have text me at any stage in the day to say that?? So I ignored it, and he text saying sorry...then later saying goodnight.
    I didn't bother texting yesterday, and he did first. I wrote back asking how his day was and he tells me he went for lunch with a friend (mind you this was supposed to be our second day meet up of the week). I just said "sound good". Then before going to bed, I said goodnight and he wrote saying "don't go to sleep, how was your day? I know I upset you yesterday and I'm sorry". I was still really annoyed so kept the conversation going for about 20minutes but my response were very simple and not quick ended. So today, we messaged a bit, but nothing to the extent before because I just don't want to keep the conversation going. I'm hurt! Like it literally reinforces everything in how I can't and should not get good-looking guys because it seriously is too good to be true. Once someone breaks my trust, I don't just give it back easy.
    Does it sound like a play or is he interested? Like he didn't even say "let me make it up to you" or "lets reschedule"...I was hoping for too much wasn't I?

2. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think you may be going down the typical path of the self-fulfilling prophecy. You think you are not good enough, so you try to test that and subconsciously make that actively happen so that at least you have the comfort of knowing you were right.

From what you've written, he seems like he is genuinely into you. However, it's only been a short time, so it's not exactly fair to expect him to understand your needs entirely and act accordingly. Right now is the time you get to know each other, and you both should actively voice your concerns and communicate with each other.

Testing whether he'd write first is never constructive, and the way you responded afterwards was even less constructive. If his lack of response upset you, you need to communicate that to him. He clearly senses that you were disappointed, but he's probably unsure how to make it up. (I have a feeling you are both quite young, and that he is also quite inexperienced with relationships).

What you could do is to tell him that you're enjoying getting to know him, and that you would've appreciated it if he'd let you know beforehand that he couldn't make it on Wednesday. I'm sure he would understand. However, he wouldn't understand if you're just curt and sulking by yourself. I think your expectation for him to suggest rescheduling is not at all hoping for too much. However, your passive aggressive texts do make it hard for someone to confidently suggest making things up, because you sound upset and unapproachable.

I think interpreting this as "breaking your trust" is a little melodramatic, given that 1) you two just started dating 2) no concrete plans were made 3) you tested him and did not approach him yourself, so he could have equally been testing you and therefore justified 4) He's apologetic and is willing to continue talking to you, probably searching for the right way to make it up

I'm going on about this, because I really hope you won't just let this implode in your face without giving it a real shot. It is impossible at this point to find out what his intentions are, and even if you could, that could easily change in the course of couple weeks, since you guys are just beginning to get to know each other. So try to get to know him, communicate to him what you like and what you don't like, and build something together. Relationship takes work, and it's easy to sit back, test them and set them up for failure, and conclude that they weren't into you. If you want him to make plans, then tell him. If he runs away because of that, then you can conclude that he wasn't the right fit. But not at this point.

3. Xc220

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I never once saw it as an act of self fulfilment but saying it make me realise that it sounds very much like something I'd do cause I've done it plenty in the past.
    I wouldn't see them as being passive aggressive texts but just an appropriate response to such a selfish act. I was just hurt and had my hopes of seeing him shattered.
    In some ways it's hard for me to express it to him because I would have thought he just would know how bad it was what he had done. But as you say,he did apologise and while I see it as the appropriate act, maybe I should also see it as a chosen act, as in he wanted to apologise and very easily could not have.
    I'll suck it up and try to get things back to normal because I do really like and I just don't want it to end like this on the fact he a jerk like the rest of em...

4. Aof

Aof

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Is that a hookup site or a dating site? I can't tell because it has been blocked. What is your status between you and him, relationship or hook up?

The second thing I find from reading this is that you sound very insecure about yourself. You keep seeing him as someone good looking and you as the ugly one that no one would want to be with. So you end up being insecure and even put up a test to it by not texting him. You did it because you want to be important to him and when he did not return that, you assume that you are not important (and feeling hurt even tho you assumed and judged all that by yourself) and thinking that he might be a jerk like the rest. You feel that you are losing the attention from this good looking guy so you end up moody, feel like all good looking dudes are just players.

If you go back and look at it, you will see that he is the one that interested in you first. Then he hooked up with you and both of you like it. He even messaged you the had fun and etc.. Have you ever look at the other way around? Since he comes from a different place, what if he respect your time when you put out that test? You are the one that started the seeing 3 days per week. What if he thinks that you might be busy and don't want to txt you to come off as a horny man to you? Since you are the one that came up with the 3 days thing, what if he assume you to know it and when you don't txt, he might think that you are really busy and with respect he doesn't txt you because he doesn't want to bother you on whatever you are doing (because you must be really busy to forget to txt him because you always arranged them)? When you txt him say "So much for a meet up today I guess, anywho, enjoy your evening" he replied so damn quick. He replied quick because he was waiting for you to txt him to confirm it since you always arranged each meet up " I've arranged each meet up" It clearly that he can tell you are blaming him for not txt to hang out, that is why he told you that he had people coming to see his apartment as an excuse. He willing to take the blame for it to save what you and he had. He even txt later to say he is sorry for no reason but willing to take it as his fault. If the guy is a douchebag he don't need to txt you at all and just ignore you and move on and his look will help him get anyone he wants as fast as he wants to.

He txted you and try to have conversation with you but you being distance " but my response were very simple and not quick ended." because you still mad and can't get over on what you assumed. He even txt to say sorry again about yesterday or w/e day. It clearly the guy is into you and care about you. In reality you can't have your lover understand you 100% of the time and you guys just start. If looking at his perspective he would have thought that you are no longer interest in him and trying to distance him by being upset, take longer time to reply.

I'm sorry that I sound like an asshole but really no relationship will work for you if you still being insecure, wanting attention, and self-center like this. If I were the guy I would have moved on since the relationship is not that deep yet but somehow how this guy still stay. I'm pretty sure that mean something.

5. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with all the other responses.

Why did you wait for him to text you on the first date? As you said to 'test a theory'.
    He has been nothing but good and into you per se. Why, except pushing him away, would you want to have him prove even more that he likes you?

And then even with your test and him offering a viable reason for not texting, you made it a point to make him say sorry for something he shouldn't have had to apologize for. I think you are sending him the signal that you are not interested, not the other way around.

Sounds like you got a decent one there. Try to fix it if you want to have a real relationship. I can tell you from the girl side of things when you are seen as out of someone's league that itself makes it hard to find a real relationship because most like yourself have these preconceived notions about the 'better looking'. Drop your fear and open up to him.