1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice im dating closeted man 4 years

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by erinarun, Jan 10, 2017.

1. erinarun

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello ive been currently been in a gay relationship with a guy for about 2 years now when i met him it was on a dating app called ***** i was 19 he was 22 sweet guy and very handsome at the time i was open and accepted that i was gay he was in closet hence not having picture on the app and fake name but trusted me enough with a number he was from town 30 min away from me we eventually met up 3 weeks after talking on the app when we met i instantly knew this would become something we ended up hooking up that night but no intercourse he said he never did most of things he did with me with other guys after that meeting i became attached i texted him everyday blew up his phone while he was still in college studying i had my faults because things were going on in my life that i cling for his attention thus pulling him away he never saw me back for full year even tho i made plans many times but felt he didnt wanna meet again because i would get attached but kept in contact next year we met again in person but at my bestfriends house he didnt want to go meet at my friends but saw i wasnt going to give up on him that he drove to my town and met me at my friends by that time he was done with college etc and could focus on a relationship tho he addmitted he didnt want to get close to me even tho he really liked me i was able to talk to him to find a balance that we both decided to get into a relationship even tho he said he doesnt know how to be in relationship i had hope he would learn after we became official my close friends knew about us even tho he was in closet he was open to be with me in front of my friends as a couple next year which is last year we became more closer his communcation got better and we created moments together like going to gay club together for 1st time and gay pride tho i planned many of these trips together and activities and have open my life up to him he officially said hes in love with me and i said the same we then kept seeing each other every other weekend and was amazing time many dates and late nights even having intercourse for 1st time which was not rushed and felt at a perfect moment but then i began wanting more from the relationship the one day out of the weekends wasn't enough i wanted to go to his town and see how he lives and who his friends and family are but he would not allow me because he is in the closet but says he is a private person by nature and the more i push for more in relationship ive noticed he does the opposite he doesnt open up more the more i push for these things even tho i feel like its normal to want more its been 4 years now and i still havent met any of his friends nor family or seen how he lives only trust his words which he says he tells me everything i also feel his family is very needy which is cost of our relationship because he works monday-friday 8 to 6 and doesnt have time to drive 40 to my town because i dont ask since the drive is long and when weekends come his family nags at him to do things for them which i feel like im fighting for time from him between his family even suggesting to move in together but hes not willing too because he says living with someone can push people away and he doesnt want that for us but has consider it a option i also keep in mind he is living this double and living together would mean him explaining to his family etc about his sexuality he has done alot for me and has been there for me in stressful times and helped me with my move to my own apartment and many of my journeys tho i love him very much more then i ever loved anyone i dont know what to do should i nag at him for more in relationship or just sit back and let things fall into place or should i investigate more into his life only reason ive done this for so long even tho it isnt what i want in relationship is because he is worth it to me and makes me very happy every time i see him and wanting more time with him because hes never disrespected me and has open up in some aspect to my friends and my life as my boyfriend but on his side he has kept it closed only telling me here and there about his family and what he does in his day to day basis by calling me every day on break and out of work and then coming on weekends but i feel tho it isnt enough we havent even spent more then 4 days together for 4 years spent together always struggle to get his time now i feel like our relationship is getting stressful because im becoming insecure not knowing anyone from his life and fact i respect his privacy i have noitced things i didnt expect like fact he i spotted ****** app on his phone one night and asked him and he said his icloud downloads it on his phone whenever he resets it and he just left it on his phone he said he shouldnt have had it on his phone and looked me in eyes and said he not cheating on me and would never hurt me ever since then i felt more inscure because i dont really know him just know him based off of who he is in front of me and how he treats me when i ask for more in relationship he says its something wrong with him he struggles at being in relationship and giving everyone his time because everyone in his life says its never enough but i tell him to focus on us and our time since in end i feel like our relationship with be his happiness and mine.

2. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, I don't know how much advice I can give you, but your situation sounds similar to mine when I first entered into a same-sex relationship.

When I first met my then girlfriend, we were both in the closet for acceptance reasons. 6 months into the relationship, I was confronted about my lack of interest with men and my facial expression gave away that I was gay. My gf still had issues with her fam, but I never pressured her to come out.

Because she was still living at home, she had a lot of rules of when I can see her, and the frequency. I respected that, even though in the whole 3 years I only saw her in person a handful of times (long distance relationship without being long distance--if that makes sense). So nothing much happens between us other than quick kisses for fear of running into someone she knew in public--which happened once.

I really did love and care for her so I respected her rules. Then, one day, she cheats on me and all the rules she had in place don't apply to this new girl. She was this girl more times in one month than I had in 3 years. So now I feel like the worlds biggest idiot for wasting 3 years on someone who didn't care about me at all. And it also makes it that much harder for me to find someone now because I haven't been intimate with anyone.

Bottom line: if someone isn't open with you, they don't care. If they are making excuses or cancelling dates, they don't care.

The decision is ultimately yours, but I wasted 3 years of my life. I was heartbroken, obviously, and a part of me is still crushed, especially when I get rejected for lack of experience with women....but don't waste time on people who don't have time for you.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. For the love of God, please use tha "enter" key to create paragraphs. It's impossible to read a wall of text and a lot of people don't respond to "wall of text" posts. :slight_smile:

2. With rare exceptions, someone that won't come out to family/friends after a year of dating someone... is not someone I'd continue dating. (For me, I would not likely date someone closeted to begin with... too much baggage.) This is incredibly disrespectful to you. The "I'm a private person" thing is bullshit... this is someone who doesn't have the courage and self-worthiness to want to accept who they are and live authentically.

3. Someone that's being disingenuous is not someone I'd stay with.

4. You deserve better. The fact that you've let him walk all over you for 4 years is an indicator that your own sense of self, and your own difficulty to ask for what you need (and leave if you don't get it), aren't very strong. You're essentially staying with him because somewhere, you don't believe you deserve better.

If it were me, I'd perhaps give him one opportunity, and a very short window (maybe 30-60 days) to get it together and come out. But quite honestly, there are enough other red flags that I don't think he's being authentic with you about what's going on, and that, for me, would be enough to end things.