1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it weird that I'm black but only date white guys?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by maricamagica, Jan 11, 2017.

1. maricamagica

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm German so basically there are barely black people here. I grew up mainly surrounded by white people and that is what I'm preferably attracted to. I don't have any black friends and every guy I've ever dated/ hooked up with was white. I don't find it problematic but isn't it kinda weird? What if I never in my life date in my own ethnicity or even exclusively white people?

2. renard

renard Guest

Hi maricamagica!

I'm sort of in the reverse situation: I'm white, but I'm more often attracted to guys of color, for some reason. Attraction can be weird, since it's an amalgam of physical/sexual and romantic attraction, as well as possibly some environmental factors (like you're suggesting).

I think dating people mostly of one color can be fine as long as you're honest with yourself. If you're dating certain people because you're uncomfortable with other races or because you're not comfortable with your own identity, then it's obviously an issue you need to work through on your own. But as long as you're being honest and you recognize the people you date/hook up with as people, then I say go for it!

3. Pinky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not weird at all. Everyone has preferences. Just do you.

4. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a similar attraction :wink:

I'm white, but I'm more attracted to girls of colour (or girls who have more colour than I have which is not that hard :lol:slight_smile:

I don't think it's weird at all.

5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is not unusual. Most of the guys I've been with are non-white.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I strongly disagree with the "everyone has preferences" argument; dating preferences are not innate: they are products of your social environment. I think it would help to at least find some black friends even if you don't date them. You live in Berlin, which means there are other black people, and there are even people who are neither black nor white! :wink:

7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you just not know any black guys? It could just be circumstance

8. Chubba

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here's my situation.....I am black.....I've grew up in a majority black neighborhood early part of my childhood. I also grew up in a majority white neighborhood as a teen as well. You aren't weird. Even though there are some fine black Brothas.....I do find myself more attracted to guys outside my race, especially if they are tall, bearish, and beared white guys.......Yes!!!!!

9. maricamagica

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't see why I should go out with the intention to specifically black friends. That's not how building friendships works, it either evolves naturally or not at all. I may live in Berlin but the black population is still very small and there simply are no black people in my circles. Why would it be helpful for me to find black friends?

10. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    No I'm in the same boat. I've had some bad experiences with black guys that I don't want to talk about, so I have my reasons. I just like white guys just like people like cakes.

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You started the topic by asking if it's weird you only date white guys and what if you never date your own ethnicity. If you are satisfied with dating only white guys, then you don't need to do anything different (and this thread was unnecessary). But, if you're not satisfied, then you have to change something, which means looking for black guys to either befriend or date.

Friendships are often built on similar experiences, which can include race/ethnic identity. My family is from India, which is a very small minority in my city, and yet I have made many useful friendships with Indians/Indian-Americans. One feature of those friendships is talking about our families because there are very different cultural standards and pressures than what most non-Indians experience.

12. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree with resu that preferences, to a large extent, are socially constructed, especially if they are narrow and specific, like race. For you, growing up with white people amongst other factors in your life most likely contributed to your preference. Asking whether this is weird or not is not particularly constructive. I think Resu answered assuming that you would want to broaden your preferences, and suggested befriending others. After all, you have nothing to lose by broadening your preferences.

13. maricamagica

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think there's a misunderstanding, my preference relates to sexual and romantic attraction. Regarding friendships I don't have any racial preferences which I think should be obvious unless you're a racist. The reason I only have white friends is that I happen to be surrounded by almost only white people not that I preferably befriend white people. There used to be a close black community with people from the same country my parents came from but I quickly grew out of that since I didn't really identify with my parent's home country. I consider myself a European or a German whereas my old friends are very patriotic in terms of heritage.

I do think that romantic and sexual preferences develop as you grow up and are formed and strongly influenced by the environment and society you live in. In a really white environment and Western society in general that deems Caucasians to be the ideal of beauty it's no surprise that my preference ended up to be like this. But even if my preference was socially constructed by now it is pretty much set in stone and I couldn't change them if I wanted to. I can't make myself be attracted to black people as much as I am to white people, it just isn't possible. Of course there are black people I'm attracted to, most people will find attractive people in almost every race, but compared to the attraction I feel towards white people it just isn't that strong. Maybe attraction is supposed to work like this. If you think about it I would be really unfortunate to preferably date black people since there simply barely are any where I live. It's hard to find gays as it is but to find black gays I like would be like looking for a unicorn. On the other side it kinda sucks to belong to a race you're not that attractive to. Being white would have made my live here much easier but I guess it's ok since there's no black population in Germany and therefore not much prejudice. Being black in America on the other hand would be a lot harder with a broad history of oppression and all the racism that is still alive. But I'm digressing. I just wanted to add this to the discussion.

14. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think there was such a misunderstanding. I understand (and presumably resu as well) that you were talking about romantic and sexual preferences, but these preferences usually stem from familiarity, was my point. Hence suggesting that if you would want to broaden your sexual preferences, then befriending people would be a good place to start.

I have lived in many countries growing up, and although I was initially attracted to the opposite gender of my own nationality at first, it kept on broadening as I lived in different places and encountered people of different race, and also my attraction to the same sex developed over time. I believe this had a lot to do with familiarity and not so much with my innate tendencies. Of course, this is not something that we can control or make happen with sheer will power, but I do believe that it is possible to select the environment we'd like to be in to provoke the change that we desire.

I only mention this because I thought that perhaps your initial post suggested a desire for some change through you positing this question. I believe that often times, when one is not attracted to people of one's own race, it usually stems from identity issues, and perhaps that is also the case for you, from what you've written above. I think the important thing isn't so much whether your situation is weird or not, or who you should be attracted to or not, but rather about how comfortable you feel of your preferences. I sensed a little discomfort in your initial post, and that's why I echoed Resu's suggestion to befriend people of other races including your own, to give yourself a chance to see how you react, and how you develop.

15. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love and can relate to Karaokerockstar's response because my upbringing is totally similar to his and although I have been with some very handsome black men...I have also been involved with some hot white guys as well. In fact...my late partner was Italian. I also had a good friend who was also Black and only dated white guys. Therefore, I don't see your situation as a problem at all if that's your preference.

16. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    With me because my first sexual experience was with a black female, I think that is why I am initially attracted more so to black women. But I have no real preference color wise - it's the bod. I love the hourglass.

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Finding a gay black man may be hard and take time, but it is not impossible.

Don't let your preferences become chains because you require that from every white guy who dates you: that he should look past the color of your skin to see your beauty.

18. maricamagica

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I never said I completely outrule black guys, it's just that there aren't any and attractive black gays are really seldom. My preferences make me really picky when it comes to black guys, my standards for white guys aren't nearly as high.