1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My brother is struggling.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by nightowl88, Jan 13, 2017.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out at school this week and yesterday my brother went home early and I knew it was because of something other than being sick. This morning I woke up and could hear him talking to my dad. He said he had a small breakdown at school when he heard people talking about me being trans and his teacher sent him to the guidance counselor who sent him home. He's known for a couple months about this know but none of my family took me seriously until now. And now my day has been full of me trying to find ways to help him even though I know he's just got to take his time. I know it's hard for people to learn this stuff about their family and we are twins which probably makes it harder. I know he is uncomfortable with the idea of transgender people and I just feel like this could ruin whatever relationship we have. He's always been one to talk to me about anything but he hasn't said anything other than he feels sick which I know isn't true. I just don't know what to do this is just proving my fears of being to difficult on my family.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey nightowl88,

I think you're right. Your brother is having a hard time dealing with this now that it is in front of his peers and open at school. You just have to give him time and space at this point. Be prepared, if he wants it, to provide information to explain what it means for you to be Trans and perhaps suggestions on how to counter transphobic remarks that he hears from his peers. Ultimately, he needs to understand that this is about you, not about him.
    And, while he can defend you (or not) to his peers, he has to realize that your gender identity has no reflection on him.

Just some thoughts.:slight_smile:

3. mlansing

That is difficult, and I can relate as I only came out as gay last year but my brother, mom, and dad have all taken the news pretty hard. It's especially difficult when you're made to feel that you need to be strong both for yourself and for the other person who is dealing with it. No matter what just keep speaking your truth and things will get better with time. Try to be there for your brother and help him understand it but stand up for yourself if you need to. I think it is quite brave to come out as trans at your age, and I wish you all the best with your journey.