1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is REALLY important in a partner for you?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mariana, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was just thinking about this and I find it to be a really interesting question. So if you really think about it, what "requirements" does a romantic partner have to fulfill for you to think that you could be happy together? If you had to come up with five (or more or less, whatever you want) points, what would they be?
    And I don't mean an ideal partner who's totally perfect and all that but a realistic one.

Here's what I've come up with for myself. So I think for me, a partner would have to:

1. share most of my values (by which I mean core values)
    2. be someone I can talk to about basically anything and everything, like speculate about the nature of the universe and that sort of thing
    3. be okay with watching TV shows and films in English - English is not the primary language where I come from but I hate watching bad dubs in my language, it really is an issue for me
    4. like cats or be okay with cats - I think I always want a cat in my life, I love cats
    5. not be much shorter than me - just from experience, I've never been really attracted to anyone who was a lot shorter than me, but that could change, of course, so I'm not set on this one

I would love to read your points, so feel free to share or comment on mine if you want to. I just find this interesting :icon_bigg

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to care more about the personality compatibility than looks, so I will stick to that for my reply.

1. Having a lower sex drive, mainly because I have one. I don't think wanting more sex is bad, but sexual incompatibility can kill a relationship.
    2. They have to be interested in my writing to some extent because I love to talk about my characters. You don't have to be a writer as long as you allow the topic of conversation from time to time.
    3. Does not have or want children.
    4. Must be introverted. I have a hard time tolerating true extroverts in relationships. Now, opposites do attract....so as a more loner introvert, I tend to prefer social introverts as they get me out of my shell but do not get in the way of my introversion needs.
    5. Related to the above, but must not be too clingy and have a life outside the relationship. I've been put off from dating too many times because of needy attitudes.
    6. I prefer homebodies. I like to travel and get out from time to time, but if someone makes it a habit to do it constantly, I might not be as happy.
    7. I prefer someone who likes video games, but It's not a dealbreaker.

3. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. Someone that shares or understands my beliefs and personality
    2. Preferably introvert...it seems only introverts tend to understand me
    3. I currently wouldn't date someone with kids.
    4. Likes animals
    5. A little bit taller than me

4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. Someone who does not smoke, drink (excessively) or do drugs. (serious deal breaker here)
    2. Someone who is not religious.
    3. Someone who is open to talking about various subjects. I like to talk about many things and I wouldn't want him to be closed to that.
    4. Someone who has similar values (likes the environment, more on the left side etc.)
    5. Someone who wants to have kids in the future. I couldn't sacrifice that.
    6. Someone who understands that I need some time off here and then. I'm not a very social person, and if you pressure me to hang out everyday, I'll get tired real fast.

5. HuskyLover

I don't require a lot. But the thing I definitely require more than anything else is HYGIENE. Being with a person who don't shower regularly enough or don't keep themselves clean in some places just instantly repulses me.

6. Lynz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Sense of humour and a dirty mind (mostly because i have both, gotta be able to understand my crudeness heehee)
    2. Must love animals
    3. Must be open and honest
    4. Kind with good morals, but sometimes moody and dark (i dunno - i like girls who are a challenge!)
    5.NOT skinny. Must have curves and enjoy a wee drink, pizza, cake, icecream, chocolate. NO F'IN SALAD.
    6. Brave and patient. To put up with me. Lol.

I think that's it.

Anddddd I just described my wife LMAO :grin: :grin:

7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    5 made me smile. I am a bit chubby (not super obese, but belly shows a bit) and I thought I was unlovable to most girls until now :'3

8. Lynz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hahaha

Nope, some of us like woman who wont break in half when spanked. I also like big bums. With cheeks i can bite into.

CURVESSSSSS

9. randomconnorcon

It's not something I really put much thought into, maybe because I've never been in a relationship (I've never allowed myself to be, because I had such a negative view of myself, but since coming out as trans and bi (preference for males - cis or trans) I feel like I'm getting a little better). So being extremely inexperienced in pretty much everything makes me nervous. But I do have a few notions of what I like in people when they're around me.

-Patience - partly because of the above, but also because I have serious mental health problems (generalized anxiety and depression, and some people think Asperger's Syndrome), so it would be nice if they didn't get annoyed with my obsessions, ticks, moods, and my occasional need to not be around anybody (though, depending on how long we've been together and if they're happy to just lie with me in silence, they can be the exception sometimes).
    -On the other side, I wouldn't turn away from someone more extroverted. It's nice to be around a person with energy, someone who likes to do things and go out and have fun that's opposite to what I find fun. I like going out and doing things, I like being outdoors, and I'm a filmmaker, photographer, and writer, who enjoys the gym, so being indoors all day bores me. I'm just usually alone and can get lazy, so being motivated with another human is nice. They just have to know when to stop, I guess.
    -And this is not a deal breaker, just something my head can't seem to wrap around - being with someone really tall (I'm 5'3 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

Other than those, who knows? I'm guessing I'm more likely to meet someone who starts off as a friend, or they're okay with taking the beginning really slow because I'd rather know the person first, and have them know me. But we'll see what happens.

10. Tijopi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This is an interesting experiment, especially for someone who's kind of confused and curious on the matter and hasn't defined this yet.

I would say, based off the top of my mind,

1. Not afraid to be a kid/likes fun. I can be immature at times but I really appreciate the inner child in me and others, and I feel like I'd have tons of fun with someone who isn't afraid to cosplay with me/ involved in fandoms/geeking out in general.
    2. Shares my interests. That's related to the one above in that most of what I talk about is silly junk like TV shows, art, the like. I appreciate people with different interests but they need to be passionate about them and get me excited about it too.
    3. Low sex drive. I have a near non-existent sex drive and to me, romance and relationships gravitate around a deep emotional bond.
    4. Loyalty. I have some fear of rejection so, though it's something I want to change about myself, I'd feel the best in a relationship that's pretty much focused on us. Friends outside is cool, but honestly I don't even want to hear about that. I like relationships that are close where we can easily talk every day and all the time. It's not totally realistic I know, but the closer knit we are, the better.
    5. Introversion. I would have to agree with the above comments. I stay home most of the time and this ties with my feelings towards a big huge social group- I like one friend maybe two tops, but meeting a bunch of casual friends is a huge annoyance. It'd be perfect to be with someone who wants to spend time with me alone, and introverted people are 5 times more likely to share my interests anyway.

11. tommebbo

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. Enjoys cosy nights in as well as going out (high anxiety with social transition)
    2. A taller partner who is a cis male (picky i know, but i have my type)
    3. Someone who shares my love of tidiness & cleaning
    4. Wants children in the future (sperm banking and my best friend said she would carry my child for me)
    5. As cheesy as it sounds, someone who can bring out the best in me and make me feel like I do matter to people and not just existing.

:bang:

12. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is awesome! I love reading all your answers. I think it's really interesting to see what different people value and what they care about, you know?

There are so many different things that come up in the answers, and some aspects get repeated more often than others but all in all questions like this just show how different people are and I love that so far no one has said anything negative about anyone else's post. I don't know, I guess I'm in a good mood :icon_bigg

13. Grundy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Their beliefs don't conflict too much with mine.
    They have good hygiene.
    They respect that sometimes I don't want to be touched or bothered. That my silence is not me being upset. I'm just overloaded and need some time to reset before being social again.
    Understand that being slow doesn't equate stupidity, don't patronize me

14. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am so jealous of you Lynz. I am glad you are so happy :slight_smile: It gives hope for the rest of us poor saps.

My list is fairly short:
    1. Curves, not skinny minny, not obese. I want a woman who looks like a woman.
    2. Compatibility - we have to be able to communicate well
    3. Can handle me on days when I just want to veg and watch tv.
    4. this one is all on me I know - but someone I can be me around and not try to be the one they want.

15. Lynz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aw thanks Bunnny, I know i must be annoying :s lol. But believe me, I had the nightmare teens time and the single times. Have to say I enjoyed my single times though, I miss some of it sometimes too LMAO.

16. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Someone interested in a long-term, monogamous, platonic relationship.
    2. Same core values.
    3. Someone I can trust implicitly. In short, no dishonesty.
    4. Someone with an inquisitive mind, who loves learning and sharing what they learn. And vice versa.
    5. Some one who is easy going to counteract my sometimes high strung disposition. More of a home body.
    6. Someone who shows compassion towards others.

The question is: Do they exist? :lol:

17. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm I'll join in on this
    1-someone who doesn't mind my semi religious views or has the same.
    2-easy going and able to ground me to reality. I tend to have mini freak outs and frustration moments when nothing goes right and literally fall apart so someone who would be able to be my rock and bring me out of those would be nice.
    3-idk why this is but I'd love someone taller then me by a few inches lol I'm 5'4/5'6 so someone taller would be so very nice.
    4-someone who doesn't mind my semi clingyness and non socialness. I have like 2 friends I talk to that's about it. I'd rather be at home either playing video games or if I had a bf then cuddling and watching Netflix or walking around a park or something.
    5-someone who doesn't mind my video game semi addiction and even better would sit down and play with me on them XD. Not a requirement but wouldn't hurt.
    6-doesn't mind animals like my 2 dogs and cat. I've grown up in a animal household with chickens dogs cats horses goats and cows lol. Has to love animals or at least is neitral to them at best.
    7-wouldn't mind having kids in the future. Whether surrogacy or adoption can be discussed but I do want kids eventually.
    Not sure what else really.

#17 Akira12, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  18. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Someone who I can talk to and who I find interesting and stimulating, funny and quick. Even if they have a really fat wobbly arse I'll entertain them if they have these qualities. I dont like boring, stiff, stick in the mud types.

19. anna96

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm single atm but here are a few qualities I would like in a bf/gf:

1. Must be respectful

2. They must be willing to not hide the relationship and not care who knows about us dating
    (I have had this happen with not 1, not 2, but 3 different people)

3. They must want to introduce me to important people (refer to above). Again, not acting like its a big secret and that I can't be seen with them in front of family or friends for whatever reason.

4. Must share a few goals and interests
    (differences are okay but if they are too different then it won't work)

5. I want someone who likes to have fun once in awhile, being too serious or never wanting to do anything is a turn off

6. I should be able to trust them and I want someone who trusts me and doesn't try and control me in any way

7. I'm not too picky about height in either male or female partners but I do find myself leaning toward olive-darker skinned people(males and females) but I find all skin colours and ethnicities attractive. I like guys who are muscular but not so much that they look like are on steroids. For girls I don't have a preferred body type, I've been attracted to all sizes!

8. Someone who doesn't talk shit or try to start drama

9. This one is a bit weird but I really love it when I get lifted off the ground and kissed, or having a partner lift me up while I wrap my legs around them, so if you can pick me up, thats an even bigger plus!!(I'm 5'7 and 108 ibs so usually not too hard for most people I've been with!!)

20. SiKiHe

I'll chime in with mine, why not?

1. Core values. That's a basic and I'm going to include religious believes and their interaction with people of other beliefs.
    2. Gotta have a sense of humor. I'm an idiot and I get through life by smiling.
    3. Prefer being home to going out. Don't get me wrong, date nights are fun. But I'm a homebody. I play video games in most of my free time. I need someone who can at least respect that and enjoy being home often. Having a gamer would be a bonus version of this.
    4. Be open and understanding. The wording here is the key. I don't need someone who is just kind. I need someone who is upfront and honest, but also who listens and understands my point of view. Someone who can hear what I have to say and how I feel, then give me No BS responses that are from the heart. And that they can talk to be about their needs and know I'll be just as understanding and honest with them.
    5. Flawed. No one is perfect, obviously. But some people will be up front about their flaws. If they think they're fat, or boring. If they have problems with intimacy or tend to over involve themselves. We all have baggage but my SO needs to recognize theirs so we can talk about it, and respect eachothers needs. this last one might take more time than others but I find it very important.

6. Be good in bed