1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my ex is in love with my brother

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by musiclife, Jan 18, 2017.

1. musiclife

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't get over break ups that easily. I'm the kinda person hat only dates people I actually have an attraction too. I don't say yes to random people asking me on a date. I'll get to know you as a friend and then date you. I don't ware my time. So when my girlfriend broke up with me and said "I just don't feel anything anymore" that hurt cause I was feeling a lot of things. The worse part is that she's my bros best friend so it's not like I can just cut her out of my life. I see her once or twice a week. I don't want to tell my bro we dated and that I don't like her being around when I'm around cause I don't want to make him feel like he can't hang out with his best friend. Then I made his realization after I heard my ex tell her meat friend something while we were at the same New Year's Eve party. My ex is in love with my brother. So with that info and just some past things she has said and done, I realized she only dated me because I was the closest thing to my bro that she could get. My bro and I look like twins, we dress he same (I steal his clothes sometimes) we're the same size and height, we have the same sense of humor, and very similar quiet personalities. She couldn't get my brother to go out with her so she decided to see if the sister was almost the same. I'm so fucking pissed but it makes sense and everything adds up. What sucks more is that I like her, she likes my bro, my bro doesn't like her. I want to get over her and I thought I was for a bit because it was long distance for a couple months, but then I moved home and now I'm just as depressed as I was when we broke up. It sucks.
    Well I just needed to rant. Feel free to give me some advice on how to deal with this shit if you've ever been in a similar situation

2. WarmEmbrace

(*hug*)

Break-ups are never easy when actual feelings are involved.

There can be a number of explanations about her behavior; because she wanted your brother and used you as a proxy is one of them, but there are others too. Maybe she actually loved her mental projection of you at first, but not real you, and it took a while for her to figure this out.

When she realized that there are differences, she had to let go, but maybe she didn't do it as graciously as she could have had. It sucks big time when feelings are just one way, but is part of life. It is fair for anyone to seek their happiness in life as they see fit (no-one can completely own another person, not even in marriage), and is fair of them to be open about it once that was clear (as opposed to them not feeling anything anymore, but lying about it and still staying in the relationship for other reasons).

She had the courage to do what was right for her. I think it is time for you to have the courage to do what is right for you too. If you feel that you need to cut her out of your life to be able to heal and move on, then do that. Even if that means telling your brother that you dated her, and it hurts you having her around. Of course that is just my opinion, you are much more connected to all the subtleties of the situation. :slight_smile:
    (*hug*)