1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Best Friend . . .

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by elliephant, Jan 21, 2017.

1. elliephant

So I am not entirely sure if this is the right area for this thread, but it is about my best friend (called C from here on) and whats happened since I came out to her.
    She's been very supportive, we don't talk about it much because our other BFF is very Catholic and I know she doesn't alway feel comfortable with it, though I know she is trying. It's been about four months since I told them, I think. Since then C has told me that she really does find LG relationships very romantic and she's dropped some other comments about how much the boys at our school suck and how much she adores this sophomore girl's relationship with her girlfriend. I didn't know if she was just trying to be supportive of me or if she was suggesting that she's bicurious.
    Now, this is about something that happened just about a week ago.
    We were hanging out at C's house and she says to me "you know, it really sucks how the obnoxiousness of the boys at our school have turned us to like girls instead".
    Um, what?
    It kind of annoyed me and made me a bit uncomfortable at the same time. Because first of all, nothing "turned" me to like girls. I always have, I was just only truly able to understand it about 5 years ago, and I only came out to anyone late 2016.
    The second thing was the "us". Now, I love my best friend, and if she really is LGBT anything I will always support her. But the context that it was in made me feel like she might have been coming on to me, and I can't handle that. C is beautiful, but she isn't my type, and it's like the way someone would find their sister beautiful.
    I'm just starting to think that she does't really understand my sexuality. "Turned to like girls"? I don't know what I am trying to say, it's just that I'm frustrated with her because I get the vibe that she thinks I'm just bored with boys so I'm dating girls and that she's now trying to be the cool one and fit in by insinuating that she's attracted to girls too.
    I'm also feeling like shit because I also know that maybe I'm just jealous because I'm finally scrounging up the courage to come out, albeit to only a few people, and she's . . . insinuating the same thing also. :icon_sad:
    I just don't know how to handle this because C is such a big part of my life, but I need her to understand that I am not just screwing around and it's already hard enough with our other best friend and my homophobic family, that I can't handle her either coming on to me or pretending to be gay to piss off her conservative family. I know that maybe she could be LGB, and I know that it is not for me to decide because sometimes the person you swore was straight is actually gay, but with her I genuinely believe she is straight and just confused by her rigid family and our sucky school.
    Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated because I'd don't know what I am doing.

2. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To tell you the truth, I would have concluded exactly what you did, based on the story you tell. It sounds like she's trying not-so-subtly to hint that she might be into you. But not for the right reasons. And because of that, her hints are rather tone-deaf too. You are the commendable one in this story.

So what is Miss ICanSeeClearlyNow do to? Oh, that's a whole 'nother question. Wish I knew. Like everyone says, talk talk talk.

I have just written and deleted sentences several times over saying just what to say. Which means I don't know what the !@#! to say. But really, someone with your insight and expressive talent should be able to come up with something. Here's the prob: non-talking can be misinterpreted in thousands of ways. Letting things drift is almost never good. Take the helm. Seize the day.

3. elliephant

Bumping this for a little more advice :slight_smile:
    thanks guys!