1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting privacy

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mlpguy88, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I don't have to be at work I like to spend the time with my boyfriend. Most of the time I go to his place but the problem is that his two cousins are over all the time. They are nice guys and I like hanging out with them but I wish they would take the hint that we'd like to spend time alone together. Sometimes it gets aggravating but I don't want to just outright say it to them and sound like a jerk.

And before anyone asks, yes he does come over to my place but his place is nicer than mine and his dog has bad separation anxiety to it's just easier for me to go to him.

I don't know how to solve the situation.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The problem is simple I think - just tell your bf. It seems very fair to me. Either make up some excuse, or just modify it and say lately you'd been feeling socially burnt out lol

3. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did sort of mention it tonight. I jokingly said "So much for a quiet night together." He just laughed a little and said "Yeah"

I don't want to be a jerk because it's his family but it can be a bit much. He and I are kind of going through a bit of a pause stage in our relationship, so I don't know if it's ok to bring up

4. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand that you two need privacy, it's perfectly normal to want that. Do you think you could talk about it to his cousins? I think you should.

5. robclem21

Communication is key in any relationship. You should feel comfortable to bring up anything that is bothering you. There is a way to phrase it without being mean. And it sounds like you could do that honestly. Something along the lines of "I really like your cousins and don't mind hanging out with them, but it would be really nice if we could get some alone time just the two of us. Do you think you could talk to them maybe?" That sounds like a reasonable request and if he says no then maybe there are some other issues going on that need to be discussed.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would it be possible for him to bring his dog over to yours?

7. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I told him he could but we haven't tried that yet.

One bit of good news is that today we were alone together. His cousins were busy with other things so we had some peace and quiet.

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great news. Enjoy :slight_smile:

9. Mrcake

I had this issue with one of my ex's. The best thing to do is to plan a weekend free from his cousins or to go to your house. Maybe you could take his dog to your place? I often had to make compromises like that and have my significant other talk to his roomies. His roomies would be nice and leave or they would stay in their rooms. If wanted intimate time, his roomies would just leave or we'd have to be extra quiet. Communication is key here.