1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't really be around my family?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sarkzar, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Sarkzar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm looking for advice on how to deal with not being able to really communicate with my family. My mother and I don't get along so well because she contributes a lot to my self doubt and insecurities, and my brother and father only really ever talk about their love for a certain US president and try to get me to argue with them. Overall, the interactions that I have with them are increasingly negative and even when we don't argue, a lot of the things that they say hurt me.

I'm leaving for college in the fall, but how do I get through my time living with my family until then? I don't want to ruin my relationship with them permanently by constantly butting heads with them, but it's gotten to the point that I can't stand even going out to dinner with them. I don't want to lose my family, but it's hard to feel at home when I'm practically avoiding everyone in the house besides my dog :icon_sad:

2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there another place you could stay temporarily until you go to uni?
    I only mention this because sometimes creating a distance can cool things down a bit. Obviously, you'll be gone in fall, but as a transition it might ease the tension in the household situation. I'm sure you'll still see each other.

That is about all I can think of. Maybe someone else will chime in with some ideas.

Best of luck,

Sebby45