1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elder Brother, Mentally Unfit

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by || Kheya ||, Feb 1, 2017.

1. || Kheya ||

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sometime I have no idea of what's going on with him. And if the events done are intentionally or just maniac actions. I would like some point of view of others and also if there's any way this soul can be fixed.

My brother is 32 years old, married. Doing job of 10 to 5. He leaves home as early as 7:30 am and returns around the same at night. So, clearly he doesn't get enough time to spend with his family except Sundays.

He has this thing of making up stories and actually believing them that never really happened. Such as, he thinks his sister, I, keep creating bad image of him to our parents when he is not around and our parents hate him for that. Another one, he complains each & everyday that his colleagues are making conspiracy against him & tries to harm him mentally and physically. Okay another one, he thinks & believes, when he is not around us, his sister and mother, shares bed with unknown or known men, and also tries to indulge his wife to do so. One more, our parents doesn't love him a bit & they are giving all their money and property to his sister alone. Last one, he thinks & believes that he is THE superior one among all, the knows everything type and if anyone is trying to explain anything to him, that means they are trying to fool him. He won't ever accept his fault or mistake, but will continuously force the other person to admit that he has done right and the other did wrong. He has a doubtful nature.

Not only this, he does some maniac activities. Such as, when he walks towards the door, he'll walk two steps backward near the entrance & then proceed entering the door (always, like it's a ritual). If he has to remove his belt from pants, he'll open his belt's buckle then clip it again, then again opens the clip & removes it. Like he has to complete everything after rewinding 10 seconds or so. Though it doesn't harm anyone but it's really annoying some times and these are just two of those things. He does tons of these things on regular basis.

I'm completely sure that he has some kind of mental disbalance. But none of our family member has the courage to speak to him about his behavior, let alone convincing him for taking help of psychiatrist (hmm, my mother tried once to bring up his maniac behaviors). He acts outrageous and shouts. I wish he could be saved.

#1 || Kheya ||, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're certain that this comes from some sort of mental illness (and from what you've described, it does seem possible), then ultimately the best answer for how to respond to his behavior and disarm his suspicions will come from his therapist. They'll be able to diagnose his condition, and tell those close to him how they can interact with him in more productive ways - medication may also decrease his paranoia/anxiety/etc., or whatever is ultimately causing him to have these thoughts.

Unfortunately, it will ultimately have to be his call to go to therapy, since even if you could force him to go (which you can't), it wouldn't be helpful if he wasn't interested in making it helpful. You could try an open/honest conversation with someone he trusts, in a neutral, calming place, but depending on how he reacts to others, even that may be a bit much.

In the meantime, you might have to set clear boundaries and stick to them. For example, if he accuses you or whomever of something like this, he will have to leave the house since you won't tolerate being accused of that, or something along those lines. Basically, a compassionate but firm approach. But, that's just my own idea, and again, I can't predict how he would react to that.

Hope this helps. Feel free to keep posting if you think of other details that might help.