1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Tell My Mom?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by dyl pickle, Feb 1, 2017.

1. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I am fully out to both of my parents, and while my dad isn't accepting at all, my mum is slowly getting better about it and is becoming much more understanding. This morning, in an attempt to wake me up, she ripped the sheets off of me and I was wearing boxers. She was initially shocked because she simply didn't know who's they were, and I told her a friend got them for me. The conversation stopped there.

Later on today, I apologised and said that I'm sorry if I upset her, and she just laughed a little and said, "I was more just confused at who's they were." She then told me that she doesn't want me keeping secrets with her and that even though the topic might be hard for her that she always wants me to be more comfortable with going to her about anything.

My friend, on top of boxers, got me men's deodorant and a binder as well. I'm considering telling her about those two as well because of what she said earlier, but I'm terrified she'll take the binder away, because other times in the past when I asked if I could purchase one (saying I would pay for everything, obviously) she turned me down and said she didn't want me to. I haven't asked her in about 3 weeks/a month, and I think she's definitely come more to terms with everything since then, but I'm still quite unsure of what I should do. Any opinions?

--sorry for the super long post, by the way--

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe tell her, but in a way that the binder was a loaner rather than a gift? I'm guessing she'd be less likely to take it away, although she might tell you to give it back to your friend.

Lex

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might depend on the reason, or reasons, that she didn't want you to get a binder before. If she was opposed to it just on the grounds of being uncomfortable since you've come out, then perhaps she's had time to digest. If it's for some other reason, not immediately tied to just the fact of coming out, she may be more resistant to it still.

I don't want to advocate hiding things from your parents, especially if you're out and have a fairly open relationship with them, and since she's invited you to be open and honest, it might be best to take her up on that. But I think ultimately this is your call - you know her better than anyone else on the forum, after all. :slight_smile:

4. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, that's a good idea - I'll add that in if she has a bad reaction to it. Thanks!

---------- Post added 2nd Feb 2017 at 06:39 PM ----------

Definitely - she said that she didn't want me getting one because she's just not comfortable with it yet, so I'm going to be careful and wait for a day when she seems to be in a relatively good mood. Thank you!