1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another story about a straight guy....

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by newyearproblem, Feb 3, 2017.

1. newyearproblem

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Ok. After taking a few shots, I decided to post another thread in about three years. I was debating whether or not I should post this since there are so many stories just like mine...
    But I just need to vent and here it goes.

I met a guy few months ago. I met him at a graduate student-get-together in Sept. During that meeting, I did not have any interest in this guy. He was not that good looking, did not talk to him, and was not interested in him.

Well, people who came to the meeting decided to keep the meeting going and make it a weekly thing. So I have been going to the meeting, or hang out thing. We would just eat dinner and play games or whatever.

One night, I dropped this guy at his place. But before I dropped him off at his place, we went to get a pack of beers. We drank some at his place while talking. Since he is an international student, he said he would become lonely sometimes and would love to hang out with me often. I was okay with that. He was a nice, very kind, and only a year older than me.

Since that night, we would hang out almost every single day. We would cook lunch and dinner together. I would come back from my lab early so that I can have lunch with him and he knows that. He would call me sometimes or even text me after his classes to see if I have some time to squeeze lunch or dinner with him. We hung out so much that I would know what kind of things are located in his apartment.

One night, I spent a night at his place. I went to his place to help him with his homework since English is his second language. Well, English is my second language as well. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    The time went by very fast and it was after 12AM. I helped him with his homework and afterwards, we drank a bit. He took out an air mattress and let me sleep on it. It was a very fun night.

Things got very confusing for me since November. He would talk to me, sometimes, as if I am a kid. I asked him twice why he would talk to me like he is talking to a kid, and his responses were, "Because you are cute" and "Because I like you~."

Before Christmas, I asked him what he wanted, and he, without any hesitation, said, "You." I was very startled and just stared at him for a few seconds. He asked me if my heart was pounding fast and I did tell him yes. Then he asked me, "What do you want for Christmas? Me?" I just laughed and said, "What the heck~" I did not know how to respond...

On one of the get-together-night for the graduate students, he called me and asked me if I was going. I told him I was not going to go because I was tired. Then he asked me, "You would not go even if I go?" When I told him no, his voice was sounded very disappointed.

The graduate students decided to go bowl one night. But there was an hour of closing (getting ready for this late night event at the bowling alley so they closed all the lanes) so I was about to go home. Or I was debating whether or not I should go home. He asked me what I was going to do. I asked him what he wanted to do. He answered my question by saying, "I will go wherever you go." and he actually did follow me around that night.

One day, he asked me to help him with his assignment. I went to his place, but since I only had two-three hour of sleep, I was very tired. When I told him about it, he suggested me sleeping in his bed. I did sleep in his bed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: He told me though that he does not like people sleeping or getting into his bed since it is his private place. I understand that because I do not like it when people get into my bed. I felt very special.

One night, when we were having dinner, he said to me, "Girls are very important for boys. And you are important to me as much as girls are important to boys." So I guess I am special for him... but I do not think I am special in a way that I want to be :frowning2:

When he talks to me, sometimes, he would put his hand on my thigh. But in our culture, that is very not common for males to do that. (We both are from the same country to add haha)

During winter break, I went home to visit my family again. He complained that I am leaving him alone in the US for a month.

When we hang out and goof around, he would smack my butt sometimes. He even said that my butt is his toy.... -.-

BUT!!!!! BUT!!!!!!! He has a girlfriend back in our country. So I do not what this is...

I just really wanted to talk to someone about him and this situation. It started to kill me inside to think that I will never be someone he would like.

For those of you who read to the end, thank you so much.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aside from him having a girlfriend back home, it sounds like everything else shows pretty clearly that he's interested in you. Is having the girlfriend perhaps a social expectation?

If you're clear on what you want from him, and you feel like he's indicating that he might be interested in you, perhaps the best thing to do would be to tell him how you feel, and see what he wants to happen.

3. newyearproblem

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hello Gravity,
    Thank you for reading my post.

I have not told him how I feel about him. I have said things like "You are very nice." "Very kind." And a few times, I sent him texts to see if it is alright to come over to his place to hang out. And he would respond "yes, but why are you coming to me when I am busy with homework? hahaha"

We went for a grocery shopping last week. He accidentally pumped his basket into my butt. I jokingly said, "Ow it hurts...." and he rubbed my butt as he was apologizing. And I joked, "This is your way touching butts?" and he said, "I am not gay."

I do not know if telling him how I feel about him is a good method. He is very Christian and I feel like there could be some kind of pressure like what you have mentioned. :frowning2:
    I am scared that if I tell him, then I might lose a friend

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, telling you he is not gay is also a fairly direct sign. :slight_smile: There might be a variety of reasons that someone would say that, but none of them involve being ready to start a same-sex relationship.

The question might just come down to whether or not you're comfortable just being friends. If you feel like you'll be happy as a friend to this person and don't need more than that, then perhaps you can settle into that role and move on (and perhaps ask that he not do certain things anymore, like invite you to sleep in his bed, if that makes it awkward for you). If you're not comfortable being just friends, then it's okay to come out and/or tell him how you feel (probably different conversations). He may or may not reciprocate, but stating your own feelings is okay (and healthy).

Of course, you could always come out whether or not you intend to tell him how you feel about him.

5. newyearproblem

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think I am at a point where I kind of not care. For a few days, I did not contact him. I am trying to move on, but still keep the friendship. But it is so hard... What makes me sad is that for three days that I have not contacted him, he did not even care to send a single text to ask about how I was doing :/

I am supposed to hang out with him this Wed. I will see what other things he does

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try to not think about what he is doing because it is out of your control. Instead, think about what you want from him. It can be nerve-wracking to admit your feelings, but that may be the only option if you want to be more than friends.

7. newyearproblem

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Resu, thank you for your post. :slight_smile:
    It does make hard for me to be around him sometimes, but I keep tell myself that I do not want anything more than just friends.

8. CharacterStudy

What do you REALLY want from this? How much evidence is there of the existence of a girlfriend back home? (It's easy to make one up, or to have a female friend you imply is in a relationship with you.)

If you'd be happy having a fling with him, without getting too emotionally involved, would you go for it?

9. newyearproblem

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    At first, I had no interest other than just having some time to spend together. And now, I think I am wanting more from him. I know I shouldn't. I cannot expect him to like me back the way I like him. If there is a possibility that he feels the same about me, then maybe I would go for it. But I wouldn't when I do not know for sure.

10. jamescool

Most probably he likes you. You have quite the same situation as me previously. Him having a girlfriend might be a social expectation like Gravity said, or maybe his sexuality is changing now.

11. newyearproblem

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    You are going through the same situation at the moment? I should read your post if you have one posted!

Maybe he is finally finding out who he is.

12. photoguy93

I think so many of us have had this situation, but it always feels unique when it happens.

I think there could be some cultural differences here, obviously. On top of that, I think this is something that can happen in the gay community. I just went through a situation where a guy told me he didn't like me but wanted to be friends, so I get it. Also, my friend has been talking about guys he's interested in and this kind of theme seems to be happening - guys are "interested" but not fully. Things are just different sometimes.

13. newyearproblem

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    photoguy93, thank you for your post. Yes, I can agree with what you have said about guys being "interested," without liking someone. A number of people (guys) I have dealt with before have done so many things and yet define themselves as "straight." But when I tell my friends about what they have done, all of my friends said, "That is so gay." Could be that these guys were trying to find out who they are.

14. mlansing

I agree with other posters that you should ignore his behavior. Regardless of how he feels, do *you* like him? Do *you* want to be in a romantic relationship with him? If the answer is yes I suggest you be honest with yourself first and foremost and then later, if you're comfortable doing so, tell him. Sure you might lose a friend, but imo being friends with someone you like is torture so it would probably work out for the best.

#14 mlansing, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  15. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you contributed to internalized homophobia on the party of the guy are now attracted to. Unfortunately. he is probably deeply hurt because he is struggling with his sexual and romantic desires, and he wanted to be with you but you pushed him away (at least from his point of view). It might not be too late to turn your situation around, but just be aware that he may have some deep set resentment for your behavoir, even though you never intended to hurt him.

I bang my head into a wall for you. :bang:

16. Maddox232003

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well... It kind of sounded like he is also gay and he is not... But from that way... I guess he kind of need a friend on looking his back and you were sort of pushing him away. But what i would suggest is, if you really like him and you know.... Have speci feelings. Maybe at next hangout when you are talking to him. Maybe admit those feelings. Though for me, i know that feeling of your friend. Surely he needs a best friend. Thats just the way how i am right now. Though wanna admit to mine's best friend but still not close enough so keep trying. Maybe if you really want your best friend with you and those relationships... Then admit your feelings to him

Remeber, Life is short, spend your time with who you truly care and love...

17. jamescool

Hey how is it going? Well now I know that "Because I like you~" is a strong hint. My crush (now my bf) used to say it quite a lot, and he still does. :grin: You should try to admit your feelings slowly. Good luck :thumbsup:

18. loveunrequited

I have to agree with one of the other members. He is in college in another country, with a girlfriend in his home country. However, he is showing feelings towards you through flirtation. Pretty self-explanatory the situation but don't rush into things.