1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The birds and the bees

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by sonic1337111, Feb 3, 2017.

1. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm wondering should i give my younger brother the talk about the birds and the bees or should i let my mum do because my younger brother is 14 and my mum gave me the talk when i was 13.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say that - unless there's some pressing need for your brother to get this information now rather than later - this is the sort of thing that parents usually handle. So, all other things being equal, I'd let them decide when to give the talk. :slight_smile:

3. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd suggest letting your mom handle this.

4. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Seriously I would do it. I had this talk to my parent the first time (the very basics) when I was too (my parents told me I'm going to be a big sister and I was curious to know how sth got in there:lol:slight_smile: This guy is 14 he should definitely know how baby are made, otherwise it could be kind of embarassing when the topic comes up somewhere (especially if you consider that it's not unlikely for 14 year old to develope their first crushes). Btw here in Germany you learn about that in school in 4th grade and usually everyone already knows. I seriously didn't expect it to be different in the US:icon_redf

Maybe you can talk to your parents first that you are going to talk to your brother.

5. smurf

There is this concept that the "sex talk" should be this one time thing that we have with our kids or people. Like you have it once and BAM there is no longer a need to talk about this shameful topic again.

Since you are young and I'm not entirely sure the extent of your knowledge about sexual education, I would encourage you to instead of having a one-time talk with your brother, you start creating an atmosphere where he knows you are comfortable talking about sex and answering any questions he might have.

Talk to him about sex not as an authoritative figure, but as "hey this is okay to talk about and it can be fun to talk about" type of way.

There are things that as his older brother he is going to feel more comfortable telling you than your parents. Its okay to be that person for him.