1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'm out on one small corner of the web and I don't feel ready to change that

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Ara, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Ara

Ara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm an artist, or at least I'm trying to be, and nowadays social media is really important to pursuing that. Thing is, I'm out on one small corner of the web and I don't feel ready to change that. I'm cool with most of the internet knowing I'm gay but I've yet to work up the nerve to come out to anyone IRL.

My current set up with social media is, I have a tumblr that's not really connected to my name where I'm open about my orientation (where I post my art), an instagram that's just my art, and a facebook that I never really use (the only one with my real name).

I've considered a couple of different ways to deal with this but none of them really seem great. Like, I could just not use tumblr for art, but it would suck to not be able to the platform I like best and am most comfortable using. I'm invested in the art community on social media and prefer not to miss out on trying to keep up a veneer of anonymity.

And Honestly even then some of the art itself might at least some suspicions (all my shippy fan-art is of gay couples and most of those are wlw, stuff like that) but I'd hate want to not make or share art thing that I like and care about.

Basically, it's all very frustrating. I always feel paranoid about getting found out and I feel like no matter what I do I'm going to losing something Important to me. Any Advice?

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Ara,

Since you seem to be comfortable in identifying as lesbian, I'd like to ask you what is preventing you from coming out in your real life? The ideal here would be that you integrate all the different parts of you into the wonderful lesbian you.

If you're just not ready to come out yet, that's ok. But maybe you could think about putting a plan together to get yourself ready to be able to come out.

I didn't really realize how important me being gay was to me until I came out of the closet. As an artist (especially an artist that specializes in LGBT art), you might even find more inspiration for your art by being out.

Just my 2 cents. You should only come out when you are ready.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

3. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I 100% agree with I'm gay. Coming out at some point is ideal. What's stopping you from coming out in real life? How can you address those issues? I know there can be a lot of shame with all this but know that you have nothing at all to be ashamed of. Being a lesbian is great! Message me if you want to talk more. :slight_smile:

4. Ara

Ara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    (thanks for the responses I really appreciate it)
    I'm definitely planning on coming eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later. I just don't really know when.
    It's probably worth mentioning that I've only been IDing as a lesbian for 2 or 3 months. (If I'm being honest with myself I think I've really known significantly longer than that but letting go of that denial and confronting things was hard for me and took awhile.)
    and honestly even though dealing with the internal struggles that come with being gay isn't a non-issue by any means, I think got a pretty good handle on things overall and it hasn't really been to bad for me. The external struggles however, not so much. (especially now that I know it's not at all hypothetical, it real and I'm gonna have ta deal with it)

If I'm trying to pinpoint the one big thing that scares me regarding coming out, (and I fear this response would get painfully long if I didn't) I'm scared off being held at distance by the people I care about. I don't think any of them would ever outright abandon me or do me any intentional harm but it would definitely change things and not for the better (at least not at first). I can't picture any of them not getting realy weird about it.

It doesn't help help that I don't have anyone to fall back on if things get rough with my family. I don't have friends I can rely for anything this heavy and I'm homeschooled, very shy, and live in a small rural town in a red-state so finding someone anytime soon seems like long shot. I get that there's online resources obviously, and I appreciate that, but it's still not anywhere near the same as an established IRL relationship and I'm really scared of being alone.

5. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey hey , once I get private messaging and I hope you to I would love to see the art.

Anyway if you want to chat we can always chat :slight_smile: I feel lonely in this hiding, I am out a little bit, but its not easy. (Hence my lonely mood thing in my profile)

I cant wait to go into the chatroom of this site :slight_smile: