1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valentine's day

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jacob D, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So Valentine's day is coming up soon. This year will be different for me because I'm single and don't have a girlfriend to share it with. But I still want to do something. It's a day for couples or for those who have begun dating someone special. But can friends celebrate it too or not? I was thinking of asking my best friend out for dinner to a restaurant, just as friends and not anything romantic or anything like that. I'm single and he's single so it be like 2 best friends having dinner together. Is it inappropriate to ask a male friend? Am I being stupid? Don't know if I should ask him. He might think I'm weird.

2. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's actually a pretty good idea! I think I'm going to ask my best friend to have dinner with me too!! :grin:

I have no idea if you're being stupid, but I don't see what's strange. Maybe if you tell him, that you want to do something with him, since it's a special day, he wouldn't think you're weird?
    I don't know... But I like the idea ^^

3. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you JollyHermione. Now I feel better. I want to ask him. I think I will :slight_smile:

4. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well...I am single by choice and I have already been asked by a few friends if I would spend Valentine's Day with them. I am very flattered by their thoughtful gesture and because we have been friends for a long time...I think its quite appropriate. Have a good time...I know I will...JS

5. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Jon. You always give great advice. Thank you :slight_smile:

6. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are so welcome Jacob...I am glad that you consider my responses/advice to your posts as being thoughtful and informative as well as a great help to your situations. JS:smilewave

7. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've always been a great help to me Jon.

8. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not only am I flattered but I am honored as well. Knowing that my responses have helped you is what makes it all worthwhile for me to stay with this forum. Thanks so much...JS:thumbsup:

9. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update: Okay I asked him last night and he said yes. I worried over nothing because he didn't think it was weird at all, he was flattered and surprised and I'm glad I asked him. He wants a box of chocolates though, so I'll get him that lol

Now it's your turn Jolly Hermione. You need to ask your best friend to join you for Valentine's day :slight_smile:

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say it depends on the nature of your friendship. It was a lovely gesture to invite him out and I'm sure you will both have a great evening, but there is a risk of sending out the wrong message and raising expectations, even if they are not voiced at the time. I'm not suggesting you cancel now, but just be careful and think about how it might be perceived.

11. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi PatrickUK. Yeah you're right I didn't look at it that way but I'm sure Brandon understood my intentions. Our friendship is a tight close one and we talk about everything so I'm convinced he understood. But you do bring up some good points. I will be more careful in the future.