1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disowned by my Parents - Part 3 - It's official - I have PTSD

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Lynz, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Lynz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok really really need support please

See my previous posts for Parts 1 and 2. Disowned by my parents in my teens. Now 34. Recurring depression and panics. Back at counselling.

Had another counselling session today and I mentioned to him that someone said it seems I have PTSD.

My counsellor "Oh yes, definitely"

And then he said that he has spoken to my GP to get my meds changed at my next visit and he has started the process to get me seen by a Psychologist and Psychiatrist, not just counselling, so they can give me a full diagnosis.

Dont. Know. What. To. Do. With. This.

2. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As someone who has been in a similar situation. Diagnosed with depression (struggling with anxiety and panic attacks) I brought up the possibility of having Borderline Personality disorder. She said she didn't think it was likely but a couple months later said she thought I probably did have BPD but would have to wait to be 18 to be diagnosed. It's just so shocking. Suspecting is so much different than hearing it from someone else. Seeing a psychiatrist can be really helpful just make sure you find a good fit and be open, honest and direct. Mental illnesses are tough stuff. Don't lose hope though with the right help you can and will get better. You've got this and you're so strong for seeking help. Feel free to message me - I'm here to help any way I can. :slight_smile:

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The great thing here is that PTSD is really treatable. The psychologist will have methods of getting to the root of it and giving you ways to counter it. In essence, the idea is for you to be able to recall and think about the trauma that caused the PTSD and disassociate the negative feelings surrounding the trauma.

Often in situations of traumatic events, we block out the event, but the emotions about the event linger and pop up in all kinds of other areas of your life. Getting to the root of the trauma and separating the emotions from it will be the key to treating your PTSD.

I wish you great success! Let us know how it goes. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

4. Lynz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks both xxx

That's exactly what's happening.

I'm so scared though. Every time I have tried to get the memories out, I go straight into a panic. Too much pain to do it. I'm so scared.

5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course it's scary. This is why you need the help of a professional licensed psychologist to help you do this in a safe manner. Don't worry, they know how to do this. Just try to keep an open mind and allow the process to happen.

You can do this.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: