1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on friend group(s)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TreeGal, Feb 13, 2017.

1. TreeGal

I have two very different friend groups, one is very conservative Christian (homophobic) and the other is pretty much all guys who use "fag" and "gay" as insults and it just makes me uncomfortable. I have to pretend like I'm someone I'm not with the Christian friends and church and it's honestly eating away at me, it's starting to really make me hate myself because sermon after sermon it seems like I'm going to hell. I don't want to get religious but I don't believe in a God who loves only a certain group of people it just really confuses me. My other group of friends I feel less violated by but it's still been an issue. I really would just like some advice from anyone who has dealt with the Christian church or Christian family/friends and how can I not feel bad for who I am because of what the Bible says is right and wrong.

2. Smores

frankly, a lot of what the bible says is not what it originally said. The King James Version of the Bible is exactly that, King James' Version. He rewrote it. There are only about 6 verses that actually discuss homosexuality and they all could have not been included in the original. The bible is a tricky thing so I'll tell you one way to look at it: if God is omniscient then he knew the bible would be changed which means everything we need to know is still there somewhere, and the main points of the bible are love. Therefore, just love everyone. And I still go to church and pray and listen to christian music etc. because I believe God made me the way I am and he doesn't make mistakes. But if you want to change friend groups you can do that too. I hope I helped and sorry for the word vomit.

3. TreeGal

This clarifies a lot and helped me a lot more than you know today actually, thank you so much!

4. Smores

I'm so happy I was helpful!