1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Relationship- Advice?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Webcatie07, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Webcatie07

Hello!
    I've recently entered a relationship with a girl whom I like very much. I do have a few concerns, however, and I'd love some advice!
    Here's a list of some of the things that I worry about:
    - First off, I suppose that I should clarify that we are both in Junior year of high school- that age range when people are constantly in and out of relationships. I haven't really been in a relationship though, and I don't really want to deal with the petty drama and short, rather shallow relationships that seem to be common.
    - We live about seven hours away from each other, and although we have met before (this was about a year ago, before we were in a relationship) it's very difficult to actually meet in person. This disconnect makes it harder for me to see what she really thinks about certain things and and also forces me to put a lot more trust in her, which is all a bit scary for me.
    - She's been in and out of relationships a lot from what I've seen, all of which were with guys. I guess I'm scared that she doesn't care as much about making them last. Also the fact that I'm the first girl that she's been in a relationship with makes me worry that when we do meet she's not going to be physically attracted to me.
    - She's also more experienced when it comes to romantic/sexual situations (I'm fairly certain she's had sex before, she's at least gone pretty far with a guy) and I don't want to feel pushed to do something that I don't want to do. On the flip side, I haven't ever even kissed someone, and I feel really inexperienced comparatively, I don't want to embarrass myself haha.
    - I also worry that I might not end up being as invested as I thought, I find myself having trouble staying in touch with my own emotions. I really don't want to hurt her or lead her on if this ends up being the case and I'm just not sure how to sort everything out.
    Overall I've absolutely loved being in a relationship with her this far, she's made me feel wanted, happy, and she's been nothing but supportive. I'm just a really anxious person and a major worrier. I don't plan to end our relationship because of something that she might do, of course. I just don't know how to deal with these fears within myself and/or with her.
    Thank you so much for reading, I really hope that was coherent.

2. Lazuri

You just got to trust her, communicate with her and when you disagree, compromise.

To be perfectly honest, true love these days is uncommon because people are quite simply taught not to do it. Instead, relationships are a constant struggle to be in control and stay on top. That's a modern romantic relationship, but it's not real love. These kinds of relationships initially hit hard and then faaaade over time, causing all sorts of issues and drama.

Love, real love, means dedicating yourself to her happiness and she in turn dedicating herself to yours. You do things to make her happy just to feed on her reactions and emotions and in return you let her feed off of yours. This is the trick to make love last, to feel your heart skip a beat when you see her smile, even after years together.

However beware, since if she doesn't realize this, you're in danger of having a relationship where you give, but get nothing back and this can destroy you emotionally. So while you trust her and love her, still stay on your guard, not just from her, but from keeping yourself from it too.

I learned this by doing it the wrong way. I was the one who took and it didn't end well and it destroyed them. I don't want to make anybody feel that way again.