1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Need Advice] We're pretty much dating but... we're not?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by INTJ, Feb 21, 2017.

1. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not exactly good at telling stories, but I know they should at least start with a beginning.

I met this guy, whom I shall call Chris, at university about a year ago. We only met once a week for that particular class, but I can honestly say that every time we did collide, we would have some of the best conversations of my entire life. My social life is generally quite under stimulating due to my personality which leaves me constantly longing for deep and meaningful conversation. Needless to say, Chris shone through my life like a lighthouse. He is one of the most thoughtful and intellectual people I know and he's made these last few months some of the greatest they've ever been. It's probably also unsurprising that I have developed feelings for this person.

As soon as that semester was over, we would continue to meet up every now and then. The meetups were casual, but we still had these wonderful conversations. One day he asked me questions about my sexuality, for which I told him I was asexual and not particularly interested in relationships. What I neglected to tell him was that my romantic attractions are pretty much exclusively male. Furthermore, I do not know what his sexuality is at all. Because I am so weird, I generally just avoid that topic as much as possible and I end up never bothering to find out. For what its worth though, my gaydar is pretty accurate and he definitely sets it off.

These last few months have been different though. Our meetups have been once a week and in settings which I would say are more for dates, usually dinner at a nice restaurant, followed by a movie/stroll and then coffee afterwards. The air feels like it has changed towards something more intimate and it's doing my head in a little. Furthermore, he asked me to travel overseas with him 2 weeks ago (just the two of us) and I agreed. I am actually looking quite forward to it.

In any case, I am pretty much in love with this person. What prevents me from "officially" moving this forward is my fear of losing him and my feelings of contentedness with just staying where we are. I also don't have much of a history with dating because of my asexuality and I am quite unsure of how things will turn out if we were to move onto the next level. I suppose that is an issue for "the future" but it does hinder my willingness to explore whatever this is further.

I suppose I am just seeking advice about how I should go about clarifying this situation. Should I just come out and confess? Should I wait? I don't know guys, I need help :bang:

2. onlyhuman33

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh wow!! Ok, so, I think that you have already started to move this relationship to another level. Life is short. And it seems like the two of you are really happy with the direction the relationship is headed. So enjoy it. Don't over analyze it. I really don't know what to tell you about your feelings of asexuality. Are you speaking in more of a biological term where you don't have sex organs? Or are you saying that you don't have sexual desires? If it's more of a sexual desires issue, then maybe you haven't found the right person that stirs those feeling in you yet. Maybe he is that person to develop those feelings for you. I think communication is going to be so key here. Make sure he understands what asexuality is. And if he does, it shouldn't be an issue. If he doesn't, let him know it's nothing personal. That you still have feelings for him and that, without putting any undue pressure on you or himself, maybe those more intimate feelings will be generated with time and togetherness. I don't know if that helps or not. But I do wish you all the best, and all the happiness.

3. CameOutSwinging

I wouldn't suggest telling him that you're in love with him as that could scare someone off so early on, but you could definitely ask if you two are dating in his eyes, maybe even ask if he wants to be your boyfriend? Have a conversation about that and what it means. He obviously loves spending this time with you and even wants to travel with you, which is pretty big. If it has been a long enough time where a label like boyfriends is fair to bestow, then talking about it certainly is fair.

4. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Firstly thank you for your advice. It really did encourage me to make a move and figure out whatever it is that we are. I was over thinking it and I really just needed to come clean with my own feelings.

We went on our normal weekly "date" and I thought I had the courage to raise the issue during it, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. At the end of the date, he invited me to come inside and I decided at that moment to leave it be. The drive home was pretty painful. I desperately wanted to turn around and just have the talk. I ended up pulling up on the side of the road and messaged him that we should talk, and he said we would do it tomorrow.

I feel like an idiot, proud and relieved all at once now. I'm nervous and fearful about whats to come. At the end of it all though, I think I have made the right move... I think. This is all so surreal and out of character for me, so I guess I'm rather thankful I have a day to think it over.

I'm experiencing so many emotions right now it's kind of overwhelming. If anyone out there has some words of support, I'd appreciate it greatly.

5. darkbulan

just let the friendship you have right now grow. no assumptions, no expectations. just let it develop naturally. however, if you do decide to talk to him, then just be honest about your feelings. he is your friend after all. whatever happens happens. remember, every action has a reaction. however you do it, just prepare yourself for the outcome. ice cream is always nice company for whatever your mood is going to be.

if this trip you're going on together does push through, then it might be really good for you. travel is both liberating and confining at the same time. you'll definitely get to know each other more. hopefully, this also opens up a new avenue that you both can pursue together.

crossing my fingers for you! i wish you and your friend all the best! :slight_smile: