1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for an 'ending' relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Drkhrt, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Drkhrt

Okay- I'm going through a breakup. And I am not happy about it or coping with it well.
    The thing is, my 'ex' (if I can call him that) has the tendency to be a little dramatic. We do argue, yes, but we also have an amazing dynamic.
    We've been here before- we've had a major row, and he will walk out and say we are over. But then at some point down the line, comes straight back. So with this recent row, I guess I believed that the same thing would happen. Now I'm not saying that this is good or healthy, but like I said, my ex can be dramatic.
    Every single time we've been here, he is adamant he is truly done. So understandly a part of me can't help but think this is yet another over-the-top reaction to a bad patch in our relationship.
    I'm a little unsure of what to do- we didn't even have a face-to-face or telephone conversation, he just told me via text that we had 'run our course'. Nothing I have said since has made any difference whatsoever, but I don't want to give up on the relationship.
    I have been talking to his Mum, as I have a very positive relationship with all of his family. It's not a secret- I told him I wanted to text her and he said it was fine.
    She has repeatedly told me that she believes we are meant for each other and that I shouldn't give up fighting for him. But this time around, I'm just not sure if that will work. He is very unpredictable- he could have a complete change of heart about me, but then perhaps this time he really wants out. And I'm afraid to be patient, and 'fight' for him, to then have him tell me he doesn't want me anymore.
    I'm only 28 but I'm pretty old-fashioned in the sense that if you truly love someone, you stand by them and fight for your love. Everyone is breaking up these days over petty differences and I just don't think it has to be that way.
    Any thoughts/suggestions?

#1 Drkhrt, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2017
  2. bingbong3000

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm new to offering advice, so apologies if I offend or anything.

I'd say that it depends what you argue about, and whether you can still love him despite what you may argue about. If you feel that you do, you should try and speak to him about how he feels and why he feels that way. Ask him whether he really wants the relationship to end, and if he does, maybe the best thing would just be to move on. Closure can be hard and painful, but its necessary and helps you move on with your life. If he doesn't want it to end, then you need to work things out and talk to him. Tell him what you think about this relationship; be truthful, but kind. Try and work out whats making him so 'unpredictable' and maybe change up a few things.

Sorry if my advice is total rubbish :slight_smile:

3. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My opinion is I have two options to offer to you in regards to handling this situation:

1. Since you have text him to about contacting his mom to talk...then you should also consider texting him to convey your feelings about him and how you want to work out everything because you miss the relationship.

2. On the other hand, you can just sit back and leave the ball in his court so to speak. What I am saying is that you can give it a certain length of time in order to wait for him to reach out and if he does not give any kind of response during this time then this will let you know in my opinion that its time for you to let go and move forward. However, there could be a chance that he may contact you after you have gotten used to him not being around anymore. This will be the true test for you to decide after that time if you are willing to give it another try after being accustomed to him not being around or if the love is actually still there within you. Just my advice...Best wishes..JS

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It takes two to tango. If one person isn't interested in maintaining the relationship, the relationship will not happen. I think the smart move would be to say "I'd rather continue the relationship, but if you're positive it's over, I'll respect your decision." And then just leave it at that.

Lex

5. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to agree with your response.:thumbsup: