1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A straight friend story

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by kk31, Feb 23, 2017.

1. kk31

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been friends with this guy for a few years now. He works with me but I've always felt very comfortable around him from the start.

The first time we went on a work night out he asked how I was getting home and I told him my boyfriend was picking me up. At this point in time I hadn't come out to anyone I work with. I was shocked out how naturally I said it to him. And I shocked him because he wasn't expecting that. He had no idea I was gay.

It was new to him to be friends with a gay guy. He lived in a really remote area and didn't know any gay people. He had a bad perception of gay people and back at the start he told me I was different and that I changed his views.

He was going through a hard time for the first year or so that I knew him. I felt this strange concern for him. I wanted to look after him and make him happy. I wasn't attracted to him at first but over time I started to find him attractive. It bothered me that I cared about him so much because I had a boyfriend.

I'm single for over a year now. This guy wasn't in my life for about a year too but came back into my life 6 months ago. It was like he never left.

The first week he was back he looked after me a lot. I questioned why I'd ever need a boyfriend when I have a friend like this. One night we were away and he came into my room in just his boxers and I just found him so hot. He was just chatting to me before he went to bed. Nothing happened.

He's had an on and off girlfriend for as long as I know him. He's single for the past few months too. But he hooks up with her if she visits.

Lately I've been spending more time with him than ever. We've been on trips where he's had to share a bed with me. One night he spooned me in his sleep. I woke up and his arms were around me and he was hard. The next day I told him in front of the girls in a teasing way. He was in shock - either because he did that or because I said it in front of people.

The past few weeks I've been spending weekends in his place while his housemates are away. We've just been drinking and relaxing. Then he'd let me stay in his bed because he said he didn't have an issue with it. Again nothing happened but he's been avoiding being around me in just his boxers. He's started wearing pyjamas around me. We've been keeping it a secret from everyone that we're spending time together.

Last week he started a chat talking about how hot a guy in work is and how he'd so go for him if he was gay. He was talking about how manly the guy is and how he had a great beard.

Then this week he's trying to arrange when we can next spend a weekend together. He's also been asking me to come to his desk in work and just spend time with him.

I don't know whether I'm believing what I want to believe but I feel like something is going on and I think I need to try find out next time we spend a weekend together. I've made this post very honest and tried not to be pointing out signs.

If I could be with anyone, he'd be perfect. He looks after me, makes me feel good about myself, makes me feel comfortable, completely accepts who I am, cares about things I'm going through and I find him really attractive both personality wise and physically. But the annoying thing is he's straight.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not clear whether having him work with you is a problem. By which I mean, do you work in separate departments? He's not in charge of you, or vice versa?

Assuming not, you have three options here.

1. Do nothing (much). Let him keep doing what he's doing. Keep sleeping with him. See if anything more develops.

2. Nudge things along. If he talks about the hot guy again, ask "Does that mean I have to grow a beard to get you to think I'm hot?" As he tries to arrange the weekend together, suggest "hopefully, it'll be warm enough for you to wear boxers instead of pajamas - I liked those better". Stuff like that.

3. Talk to him. Seriously. Say "I know you've said you're straight, but you've said and done things here and there that sometimes make me wonder. Now, if you're straight as an arrow, and nothing will ever happen between us, that's totally fine, and I'm cool with that. But let me know, so I don't start getting my hopes up, OK?" Say it with a smile.

If I had to choose, I'd choose 3.

Lex

3. kk31

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. Number 3 sounds like a good idea. I'll definitely try that out.

We work on different teams but I've had to be his mentor a lot lately and I've got his back - and he knows this.

4. darkbulan

i definitely agree with this. don't assume. if you want to know the answer, then you better ask him. set things clear before you fall any deeper.