1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discreet Online Dating?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CCC, Feb 25, 2017.

1. CCC

CCC

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been thinking about online dating for a long while. For a number of reasons, I find the LGBT scene where I live a little intimidating. I am working on that, and I am slowly easing into it.

However, I have been thinking about online dating as one option to finally move to actually getting to know, and hopefully dating, someone.

Apart from the safety issues regarding online dating (which I do not want to get into here), what are the most discreet ways to begin online dating (not for hooking up obvs)?

(A little background on the situation: I live in the UK, where most of my friends know I'm gay and I don't care if other English friends find out. However, my family and friends in Italy do not know, and it is top priority for me to keep that a secret for the time being. This has led to me being relatively open in person, but having to heavily limit my online activity regarding any queer stuff. To give an example, I don't click "going" to an LGBT+ event on Facebook, because a relative might see it. I know some apps for example need to connect to Facebook and, even though that doesn't have consequences on your wall and stuff, it still freaks me out. I am also not considering creating secondary accounts with or without my name, especially on Facebook. They might show up as suggestions to friends and family, and that would make me feel weird too. Is there any way around this?)

Thank you to everyone who might want to help this lil ol' paranoid boy :icon_wink