1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend has recently come out as bisexual, how do I support her?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lmac22, Feb 25, 2017.

1. lmac22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To cut a long story short, for a while now my friend has been seeing someone. Until very recently she had kept us hanging as to who this person was until wednesday when she let us know by group chat that she was seeing another woman. We are a very close group of four friends and I feel quite embarrassed that she didn't feel comfortable enough to tell us in person.

I am bisexual myself, and I knew exactly how she felt, but when it came to telling her that, I had no idea how to say it!! I just froze, I think it was partly the shock of finding out she was also bisexual (because I never would have guessed!) and partly because her awkwardness around the subject made me revert right back to my 16 year old self and relive all the anxiety I felt when I first realised I liked women.

This particular group of friends have only ever known me to be with men so did not know I was bisexual. I want to be able to tell her I know exactly how she is feeling, but I just don't know how to talk to her about it and have a proper honest conversation.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey lmac22,

I think you already know the answer to your own question. If you can find a comfortable level in yourself to do so, you could Come Out to her in private. You don't have to Come Out to anyone else in the group if you don't want to.

Even if you don't want to Come Out to her, you can show open support for her and her girlfriend as an Ally. And you can tell her that you are open to any type of discussion about her, her girlfriend, her sexuality, if she cares to talk to you about those subjects.

Just saying...:slight_smile: