1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling protected in a relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Crisalide, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do women want to feel "protected" in a relationship?

Do they really want so, or is it just a stereotype? When does the "protection" given become exaggerated and humiliating?

If I imagine myself in a relationship with a woman, I see her as my queen/princess/whatever, but that kind of queen who wears an armour and fights for her people. A strong, indipendent woman.
    I, as an (almost?) adult, don't want to be protected by anyone: parent, relative, friend or significant other. I kick in their ass out of my life the one who wants to protect me. u.u I make my choices, I throw myself in the fucking battle of life.
    But I've heard that women somehow want to feel protected in a relationship. So... hm, should I... protect her? Should I protect an adult? Really?

Hm.
    I've been accused of emotional distance by friends, loved ones and relatives. It's because I want to respect everyone's dignity by threating them like indipendent, complete individuals.
    Or should I change a little bit, knowing that something that is suffocating to me is not perceived as suffocating by others?

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a stereotype.

Some women do want to be protected in a relationship. That doesn't mean you have to feel that way or you should feel obligated to attempt to "protect" a woman that you're in a relationship with. That's ridiculous. Have the kind of relationship that you want to have, not the one society thinks you should.

3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe "secure" is a better word. And it applies to guys, bis, and everyone else too.

You sound like you have thought about this, and understand yourself pretty well. What you've heard from others is just their theories about other others. Those are often just wrong.