1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend of a friend trans

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PennyT, Feb 27, 2017.

1. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (I don't know if this is the right place to post this. Sorry if it's not. )

I don't mean to sound bigoted, and I know starting out that way never ends well, but I'm generally trying to make this all work in my head so I'm not bigoted to this person. Anyways, I have a friend of a friend who is trans. I met her when she went by he and my opinion of her was a very stereotypical male, and not necessarily in a good way. Recently I found out that he is actually a she and is now out. I'm having issues thinking the right pronouns in my head and I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Verbally, I'm 99% good with the pronouns, but I keep catching myself in my head and I'm having problems keeping her a her in my head.

2. tranonymous

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my friends has an older brother who is trans, and to start with I had trouble with the pronouns in my head as well. I did get better pretty quickly (although that may be something to do with me starting to think I might be trans too).
    Anyway it should get easier after awhile.

3. cakepiecookie

Just do your best and don't make a huge deal out of it if you slip up in front of her.

Also, time helps. It's hard to shake off how we've thought of people in the past, but it'll come as she transitions and you get used to it.

4. Bakemono

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's take some time..but yeh don't make a big deal out of it.