1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i tell my family i don't want to live with them?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by annieonmymind, Feb 28, 2017.

1. annieonmymind

this post is going to be a bit of a trainwreck, so bare with me. i've already rewritten it once.

i can't be myself at home. my family is homophobic - not really violently or intensely, i admit, but they all hold that "they're different from us and we don't want them near us" mentality. there's also some emotional abuse going on from my mom and my sister - i.e. i got told i was ruining my mom's marriage and being selfish when i asked her not to take me skiing, since the last time i went skiing i had to get stitches.

the only person who doesn't hold the homophobic mentality, funnily enough, is the person who scares me the most. my older sister is eighteen and just went to college. she and i are on good enough terms because i'm too afraid to ever cross her. she's a drug addict and has told me before that she doesn't feel guilt.

she threatens to kill our family members, she's robbed stores, she's pretty abusive emotionally and manipulative, (once she sobbed on the phone to my mother while driving me to school, then she wiped the fake tears out and said "that's how you manipulate people."), she calls me useless/worthless/good for nothing for things as little as getting her order wrong. i haven't crossed her out of fear so she isn't really that mad at me, but i know that i'm going to fuck up and she's going to flip and i don't feel safe. i always feel like i'm living on edge.

granted, she's at college, so she's not here most of the time. however she has my mother around her finger so whenever she wants to come home, she can. she's coming home in two weeks time for a week, and honestly whenever she's home time just drags on. i feel like she'll never leave.

my dad and step-mom live out of state, and they've disowned her after she stole some thousands of dollars from them. after a particularly shitty week, they told me that if i wanted to move in with them, i could. it would be completely different from anything i've ever done before, from anywhere that i've ever lived before. however, i'm actually here for my february break right now and it's so peaceful compared to home. they're both so open-minded about my sexuality. it's not even a factor.

i know i should move but i don't know how to tell my mom without her getting mad, and there's honestly something holding me back. i know it's not going to be heaven there, but i think there's no way it can be worse than this. i tried to think of some nice things about home to even the playing field but honestly i don't think i can. no one's home most of the time and when they are, it's just yelling.

thanks for reading, and sorry it went on so long.

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in this boat too. By summertime i'm gonna have to not only have my drivers license but get a second job and secure a place to live cause me getting kicked out is inevitable at this point. Growing up my mom was emotionally abusive too. Everybody here in the home hates her. What opportunities would living with your dad grant you? Does he know about your mom and sister's behavior? It sounds like you would be happier living with your dad. If trust him enough to tell him your plans, maybe he can help you get ready to move in with him? He could help you talk to your mother, too, because honestly i think that talk is something he should be involved in especially if he's already offered.

3. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The life you are responsible for is yours. Not your mom's or your f'ed up sister. This decision is a no brainer. Call your dad. Tell him you are unhappy living where you are and are scared of your drug addict sister who your mom is unwilling or unable to place limits on. Ask him to bring you to live with them as quickly as possible.

You can't control your mother's reaction. So she gets mad. So what? She's a grown woman and will work it out eventually.

The other approach would be to tell your mom that you miss your dad and would really like to live there to get to know him and strengthen your relationship. Or whatever you think she might buy into to get her to sign off on it.

I also had this choice when I was a kid. I didn't go live with my dad and now think that was probably a mistake.