1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you cope with people asking why you're single?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Devil Dave, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's the thing.
    I don't dislike being single. I have activities that I enjoy doing on my own. I can play video games for hours and lose myself in another world without any distractions. I can draw my pictures or focus on writing while listening to my awful music without anyone complaining. I can binge watch my favourite TV shows without worrying about someone else catching up. I can eye up hot guys and make lewd comments discreetly, making my friends and colleagues laugh their heads off, without betraying anyone. I can be a total slob and feel comfortable. I love my own company. So why do people assume that I must need to have a boyfriend?

I get people asking me "are you seeing anyone? Have you been on any dates?" And I say "No" and they give me this pitiful look, as if they think I'm giving up on my hopes for any kind of love life. Hey, maybe I have given up on the idea of falling in love, maybe I haven't, but you know what? That is my decision to make, not anyone else's. So many people assume that I must be sad and miserable being single, and that I sit around feeling depressed and sorry for myself. I only feel depressed when people question my being single, I don't hate being single.

Yes, I have met people that I admired and found attractive and would like to have become involved with them intimately, and it didn't happen, much to my regret. But I don't need to be reminded of that. Yes I have had disappointing dates and I have been rejected. I coped with those experiences and carried on focusing on other things that made me happy. But asking me why I haven't got a boyfriend only puts me back to how I felt when my attempt to connect with someone did not end with the desired outcome.

By saying that I need to meet someone and trying to give advice on how to end being single, you're talking about my singleness in a negative manner, and that is only inflicting negative emotions onto me. It's nice that you think I'm a nice guy and deserve to have a nice boyfriend, but I'm not going to give up being single just because someone else thinks I should. I can accept my singleness, why can't others? I don't ask people why or how they are in relationships, so why do they need to ask why I'm single?

So basically, that's how I feel about being single. It's nice being single, it's just not nice being interrogated about it. If you're single, does it frustrate you if people ask why? If so, what is your response?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I noticed that when you talk about this in your post, you use words like "depressed," "disappointed," "regret," and so on to talk about your feelings regarding dating. Now, I'm not trying to nitpick your post or anything, but might it be the case that you do wish you could be dating someone, or that you wish something from your past had worked out?

Basically, it's completely fine to be annoyed/frustrated when people keep asking about your dating status and such - really, it's a pretty common experience for single people, and others probably don't realize how invasive it can be to ask and comment so frequently. But if you're truly happy being single, then my personal suspicion would be that it should just be an annoyance, or otherwise be easy to tell people to lay off.

So, my suggestion would be to examine your feelings about being asked this. Keep a record maybe - who asks you about dating, when, what they say, and how you feel in response. It might sound like a lot of work to keep up with it, but if you do you may notice some trends after a while. You're having the reactions you're having for a reason, after all - it's just a question of what that reason is.

3. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am embracing being single and I am really OK with it. Actually, I get approached about my being single all the time. However, its my choice at this time in my life to be single. Ever since my partner passed away, I have been dating off and on a couple of years after his passing but have been dating more over the past year. Nonetheless, with all that I have going on in my life to the degree that I've grown very accustomed to my new lifestyle of being busy that I am somewhat selfish of changing it now for someone who may want to occupy a lot of my time. I have to say that I get with my close friends lately and have them in tears telling them the horror stories of some of the dates that I've had. Instead of getting upset, I just laugh and find them very entertaining to say the least. My primary doctor just questioned me about this last week because he feels that I should be in a good relationship. I just believe that when the time is right, it will happen when I least expect it to just like my previous relationships have.

#3 JonSomebody, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer being single. I wouldn't mind dating the right person, but I find our dating culture in general to not really be to my taste. I don't even like having a bunch of friends as they emotionally drain me.

Most people understand I'm kind of a loner so they eventually let it be. Or I ask them other invasive questions until they get the point.

5. randomconnorcon

I'm more of an 'if it happens it happens' kind of guy right now. I'm perfectly happy being single and focusing on myself and my creative career; I'm at the gym, I'm working, I'm writing again, I'm saving for camera gear so I can start filming and photography. I spent too much time worrying about myself and my mental illnesses and now I'm in a place where I'm generally okay and I don't want to focus on someone else as well. So if something happens with someone I'll roll with it, but I won't be out there looking for it.

Thankfully, even though they didn't know my being alone was more down to depression at the time, people stopped asking about my relationship status a year or so ago. So I don't have to hear about it now.

6. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, there is quite a bit of negativity in my opening post (which ended up being a lot longer than I intended it to be!) but I think I'm only just now working through these feelings. Yes it is annoying when people ask me why I haven't got a boyfriend, but I don't normally know how to answer the question. It almost feels like a backhanded compliment when people ask me. Like they are implying that I'm a great person and deserve to have a great man in my life, but I haven't, therefore there is something wrong with me.

And that's where I think the negativity is coming from. This assumption I pick up from others that I'm in the wrong for not being partnered. Like they are pressuring me to go out and get married already. I don't like being pressured into things, that's why I might get frustrated towards people saying i should have a boyfriend.

So yeah, now that I'm getting it off my chest, I should start thinking a bit more positively. Of course, it helps if I do hear back from people who feel a similar way!

---------- Post added 7th Mar 2017 at 11:45 AM ----------

I like that you said you ask them other invasive questions until they get the point. I think that's an approach I need to try. Naturally, I don't like to ask people invasive questions. If I did I would feel bad. But then, by asking me those questions, people are making me feel awkward, so why not just give them a taste of their own medicine? :badgrin:

7. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No worries - venting helps too. :slight_smile:

To push the point a little, then, do *you* feel like there's something wrong with yourself? Or do you just feel uneasy when you get the impression that other people do?

You could also settle on a go-to answer when people ask you about your dating status, something that will shut the conversation down. "Because I haven't asked anyone out," for example. :slight_smile:

8. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't feel there's anything wrong with me being single. It does bother me when people react negatively to me not having a partner, and try to give me a solution to something I'm not complaining about. What happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Another reason it bothers me is that it makes me think the person saying it is becoming bored of me, and that I need a love life just to make me more interesting. I don't want people trying to "improve" me, I just want people to accept me as I am. If I don't have a love life, there's no point in trying to talk me into making one happen. Especially if I have not even said "I want a partner." Talk about love and relationships with someone who does have a partner. When you're talking to me, try and get to know the person who I am right now, not the person who I might be if I were to have some lover.

I'd find the idea of falling in love a lot more appealing if it were to happen unexpectedly. Having someone trying to talk me into finding a love life and make one happen really takes out any sense of mystery or romance, and makes it sound like a chore. I don't want people giving me this "ugh, just find someone and get it over with" kind of attitude. Like one the other posters has said; "If it happens, it happens."

9. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to hear that you're feeling happy and content with yourself! That's one (sometimes big) step taken care of.

Perhaps you could simply tell people this if they ask or bring it up. If they know that you don't want to be set up, don't want to focus on it, etc., presumably they will stop bringing it up?

10. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I know what you mean. People used to ask me this all the time, and because I've always been single I would always say "No." Usually I just shrug it off and say "Well, maybe if the right person comes along." That eventually got old, so people stopped asking.

It is a bit of a thorn in the side, if you do want to be in a relationship, but haven't met anyone decent. I agree with Creativemind about the whole dating culture thing.

Sebby45

#10 Sebby45, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  11. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They probably don't actually realize that their comments are having a negative effect. It might seem like a compliment to say "you're a good looking guy, you've got a great personality, you should have a boyfriend" but it can also be translated as "all your good looks and charming personality are not good enough to get you a partner." It's making a negative statement. You're lacking this. You need to change that. You should have this.
    I think it's really not a helpful response to give a single person, whether they are seeking a partner or not.

If I'm not expressing a desire to have a partner or asking for advice on how to get one, then I shouldn't be receiving any advice or encouragement on changing my relationship status. The best response when I say "no I'm not seeing anyone" would be a simple "ok then" and then we can move onto a subject I feel more comfortable discussing.

There's also the sympathetic reaction some people give when you tell them you're still single. THAT pisses me off. I just said "I don't have a boyfriend", not "I've got cancer". Sympathy is for when someone is experiencing loss, whether through death or a break up. There's a pretty big difference between losing someone who exists in your life, and not meeting someone. If people do feel sorry for me not having met someone, then they should probably keep that thought to themselves.

Besides, I've never said to anyone "You're in a relationship? Wow. How did that happen? Your partner must be desperate".

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A phrase I ran into back in the day...

It's never a good time for a bad relationship.
    It's never a bad time for a good relationship.

And I sort of made that my watchword. If I met a guy and we hit it off, then yeah - I'd be willing to give it a go. But I wasn't going to actively go out and try to get into a relationship just to be in one. I had other things to focus my energies on. :slight_smile:

Lex

13. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's basically my attitude - if it happens, it happens. I'm just fascinated by the fact that people think I should be in a relationship, or actively seeking one, or feeling sorry for me because I'm not in one. What's making them think this way? Being single is totally normal for me, I've been at it long enough. So why do people have a problem with it?

Maybe it's because i have spoken openly and honestly about my dating experiences with these people in the past, that they expect me to come up with more juicy stories. I just think it's daft, that they feel the need to ask if I've met anyone recently. If I did start seeing someone, they probably wouldn't need to press the information out of me, it would likely be the first thing I say. "Hello. I've got a boyfriend now by the way." I guess people don't like surprises.

14. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always thought of it as part of a conversation, something that everyone can relate to. If you aren't seeing someone, chances are one of your friends aren't either. Not a really big issue there. All my aunts/uncles always ask if I've got a girlfriend yet but little do they know I'll never have one haha. It's become more of an annoyance than anything.

I didn't enter a genuine relationship until I was 18. Before that, literally everyone was asking around if so and so was seeing someone. I really didn't get the point. I was having a great time with my friends and was so caught up with school I really didn't have time. I quite enjoyed my time being single. But at the same time, I also enjoy being in a relationship with someone. If anything, more sacrifices have to be made when you're seeing someone, so unless you're up for that you're better off staying single until someone special comes along.

#14 Jax12, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  15. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate it that people just automatically expect me to be dating somebody. Or to have a dating history at all, really. I mean i'm 25 and just within the past few months been able to identify myself as gay. So i have no dating history to share.

I get so nervous when some random coworker mentions their boyfriend, cause i'm not out and i am not ready to be out either. I'm 25 and just within the past few months been able to confidently identify, 100%, as gay after questioning it for a few years. I think subconsciously i always knew i just repressed it very badly, occassionally actively when thoughts would come up to the surface. The point is, I never even dated! So i have no juicy dating stories to share when they expect it either. Ugh.

And they all ask after a boy! That's why if i ever actually ask anybody about a significant other i'll probably try to use a gender neutral phrasing...cause being asked about a guy when i'm gay (and therefore like girls not guys) just makes it awkward and uncomfortable right off the bat.

16. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been on dates and had hookups, I just have not been in a relationship. And that bothers some people. It has bothered me at times, because I've seen people having relationships with partners they met at work or through friends or met at the gym or doing some sort of activity, and I've tried all of those things and never hit it off with anyone.

But I'm the only person who it should bother, not anybody else. And if I've come to realize that being single is not something to be depressed about, then people should respect that, and not react negatively to it. If I'm enjoying my life without a partner, then people shouldn't tell me I need to meet someone, because that's criticizing my choice of what makes me happy. If you're bored of me being single then fine - don't talk to me.

And if I was unhappy being single, people still shouldn't tell me I need to meet someone, because that will make me feel even worse about something I'm already unhappy about. It creates pressure and discomfort. If I was disappointed at myself for not having a boyfriend I don't need other people being disappointed in me.

Friends and colleagues should be supportive, and expressing disappointment at my love life (or lack of) is not being supportive, it's being judgemental and critical.

17. holtzysorry

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just say that I am not ready for a realtionship yet with those who don't know I'm gay. The few people who do know I want to date but I have to pick the time that is right for me

18. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well..i have to deal with this question a lot of times because all my friends are in relationship with guys and i'm like the "weirdo"... i just say i like being single and free and being able to do whatever i want... something like that! it's so annoying i feel like i have to apologize for being single! god...

19. Cadi04

How do you cope with people asking why you're single?

I give them the finger and ask them, how are you not single? lol (find it rude at times) Unless they are saying it like. Your hot and cant understand why your single.