1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When your friend's family is homophobic.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Canterpiece, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When your friend's family are homophobic.

It's not really an issue or a problem per say, more of an annoyance. My friend is straight, but unfortunately has a rather homophobic family, thankfully he doesn't take after his family. His uncle has a "no gays in the house" rule, and we've never been to each others house or hung out outside of College before. We do however talk online and at College.

He's had to lie and say that I'm a guy when we talk online, because if they found out that I'm a girl then his family would either try and set us up, or accuse him of ruining his chances/ being gay/ having no game for not making a move on me. Most of his family would probably flip if they found out I'm a lesbian, especially since his uncle seems to go by the rules of "don't associate with homosexuals". I did wonder if it was just a case of his uncle and his dad not liking gay men, but from the discussions I've had with my friend it sounds like they might not like lesbians too much either.

Yay. :eusa_doh:

I'm hoping that when I turn 18 (my friend is currently 18 so we'd both be adults) we will be able to hang out more, and they can't exactly stop us...can they? If only there was some way to show his uncle and his dad that having gay people around isn't going to be some corrupting influence. Oh well. :frowning2: I just wanted to get that off my mind, I suppose this thread is kind of pointless but oh well. :shrug:

#1 Canterpiece, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. Victas

The thread isn't pointless if it help you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    When you will both be 18 yes you will be able to hang out more, but that will not change the "no gay in the house" rule, and if his uncle say that he is 'ruining is chances' or something he can just say you told him you were interested in being friend only or something?

I may not have understood the thread well because I'm French and my English isn't perfect so correct me if I said something wrong aha.

3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally I wouldn't hold onto the hope or ideal of changing his father's or uncle's mind about LGBT people. Some people only need a little time and they can change, others... I doubt god could slap some sense into them.

Also sounds like they are one of the "men and women can't be just friends" thinking people. Which is absurd, and is likely something else that won't change.

If I was you, I would just worry about being happy and leaving those grumps alone.