1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving in with partner

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by HojaVioleta, Mar 7, 2017.

1. HojaVioleta

Where to start... I had to move into a flat with my parents after becoming homeless at the end of 2016. I moved in a few days ago, and my partner has just gotten homeless and it looks like the best option is to move in with me (and my parents, for the time being). It's early for this to happen. We've been together five months, and we've been through enough in that time to know certain things, and we're also the first people we've both felt like we're emotionally capable of living with. But that's still quite soon. We've basically spent the last two months trying not to, uh, elope, because of a situation in the town we're living in that is quite problematic and unsafe, and their home was basically the last thing keeping us here. We've been delaying leaving because we want to know eachother better and know that moving in together is a good idea - we've both been in abusive relationships in the past, and I guess we really want this to work and be a good thing for us both. And life just keeps being a fucking disaster for us both, and it's getting harder and harder to stay.

I don't really know what I want from this post, but there's basically no one I can talk to who knows what is going on and has any idea of what to do, so some perspective would be nice.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what you've written, it sounds like there may be enough external pressures (financial and so on) that the decision may get made for you. Ideally, I wouldn't personally recommend moving in with someone less than a year after starting to date.

That said, safety is also a concern. Are you feeling like your or your partner's life is in immediate danger?