1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad friend response

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MMalfoy31, Mar 9, 2017.

1. MMalfoy31

One of my best friends has recently found out that I am a lesbian. She seems like she is somewhat okay with it. She said she doesn't like the fact but will listen when I need to talk about it. How should i respond? Has this ever happened to any of you?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did she expand on what she said? Did she explain why she doesn't like the fact that you are a lesbian? Did you ask her? Tell us more, if you can.

3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like her attitude is the one that could use some adjusting. Like she's assuming from the start that your being gay implies drama that needs to be talked about.

Or maybe, cut her some slack, she was surprised, didn't quite know what to say, said the thing she knew would be neutral and non-judgmental, was sort of treading water.

This is one of those cases where you "get" to be the empathetic one (lucky you), trying to figure out exactly where she stands. Good luck.

4. GameOverPaladin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You shouldn't feel guilty about cutting your friend off if they really hurt you.