1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vocal anti-gay marriage new coworker

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PennyT, Mar 10, 2017.

1. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work in a kind of conservative environment. I love my job and I'm comfortable around most of my coworkers, though I would never, ever come out to most of them. Usually it isn't an issue. I know that most of them are opposed to homosexual ~things, but whenever it gets brought up, it's usually in vague philosophical terms and I can leave the conversation if I want. I've accepted that they're my coworkers more than my friends.

However, I now have a new coworker who is a bit more vocal about her views, kind of like a bulldozer. While she's more open to conversation than your standard homophobe, she's very convinced she's right. She all but said to me the other day that being Protestant made no sense because the Catholic Church is the one true church and that my decision to leave the catholic church instead of trying to improve it wasn't a good decision. :rolle: Things like that, I can usually just mentally roll my eyes at, but the other day she also said in regards to gay marriages, "they can call it marriage but it isn't really marriage" which made me feel angry and disrespected. When I think about her, I just feel angry. :tantrum: Deep down, I know that she's probably a good person who doesn't mean to offend me and basically tell me that my current and future relationships are invalid, but I just feel so frustrated. She's perfectly in her rights to say and feel anyway she wants, just as I am, but I don't know how to develop a positive relationship with her without considering her a cruel person.

2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you have to go through this PennyT. If the job market wasn't so bad, I'd say find a more "open" job.

I don't know what to say, except the usual "haters gonna hate." This kind of person won't change their mind, so don't even bother talking to them if you can avoid it...which I'm sure you are already doing! Your relationship is valid, and if you choose marriage, I value that as a standing commitment to another person...just like any other marriage.

(*hug*)

Take care,

Sebby45

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are plenty of straight people who are allies to the gay community and support gay marriage and other LGBTQ+ rights. Why can't you disagree with her when she spouts her ignorant viewpoints and tell her your viewpoints? While you say you won't come out in this environment, and I respect that decision, that doesn't mean you have to stay silent.

Just a thought. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: