1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work through things or end the relationship? Help!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by rcphill, Mar 12, 2017.

1. rcphill

Here is a little about our relationship. I'm 5 years older than my partner. When we first met, I was in school full time and she was employed. Even though I didn't have an income, I tried to contribute to date nights and fun activities as best I could. I didn't expect her to fully support me just because she had more money than I did. I used my student loan money to contribute. Once I graduated, we took the step of moving out of state together for a job opportunity I was given. Now, the tables have turned. She is back in school full time and does not have a job. She receives a small supplemental income, enough to cover a portion of the bills (though I spend about 650$ more on the rent than she does) with a little left over. Ever since this change, I have been the one to pay for 90% of date nights or activities as well as vacations. I want us to have fun together and make memories, and I know if I don't pay for the vacations we will never go on them. The thing is, she is in class one day a week (granted she is taking a large number of credit hours) and she totally could have a part time job. She just doesn't want to.

Now, she has begun her own online business and has been putting a substantial amount of money into it, when this whole time I thought she had no extra money. Anytime I bring up her getting a part time job, I hear "wow, I'm trying to start to a business. Why is that not good enough" basically. I'm finding myself becoming more and more resentful about being the breadwinner. Don't get me wrong, she does chores around the house and cooks pretty much all the meals. But is this enough? I'm always the one planning extracurricular activities and paying for them too. And just the other day we stopped to get drinks at the gas station and she put her hand out to me, expecting me to give her money to pay for it. This really ticked me off. We're not married and I'm not her mother. We are engaged though and I think that makes her feel entitled to my money. I work extremely hard and have a pretty stressful job, and wish that she were as motivated as me.

I don't know if I'm being selfish or snooty by expecting her to contribute more financially? I know that a relationship is more than just money, but it's literally all I can think about right now. I try to remember that a he moved for ME and does try to contribute around the house, but I just don't know if this is enough for me. Even if she were making a few extra hundred by having a part time job, it would make me feel better because I wouldn't feel as used. I want to discuss this all with her but I'm scared because she always gets mad and defensive when we talk about money. But I can't go on feeling used like this, and I can't plan a wedding with this burdening me, and not knowing for sure that she will contribute to finances in the future..her supplemental income will be gone when she graduates in a few months, and it sounds like she'll just be focusing on her online business at that point. I know for a fact I am not willing to fully support us because I too would like to start a business in 5 years and would like to start saving for that. Do I make demands that she gets a part time job? I have no idea how to handle this. :icon_sad:

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How long have you been with her, and what are your ages?

This situation reminds me of an article that warns about the risk of cohabitation before marriage. Basically, there are various studies that suggest under certain circumstances, people cohabiting before marriage can actually lead to poorer relationship outcomes than those who didn't. One major reason is that living together makes it harder get out of a relationship, even if there are serious problems.

Now, in this case, it sounds like you two have different expectations on your roles, and things are unlikely to change even if you get married without clear, direct conversations that result in mutual agreement. Don't be scared. I think asking your partner to get a part-time job is a justified request. You have laid out clear reasons (i.e. her current income is not enough, she doesn't have full-time classes, etc.). However, you can't force her to do anything and may need to bring someone else, like a relationship counselor, to help mediate the issue.

Whatever happens, remember that you are only engaged. This is supposed to be the time where you learn more and more about your potential spouse, and sometimes that means finding things you don't like. Think about what you value. You mention that you work hard to support at least yourself. If that's what you want in a partner, then you need to say so, let them respond, reflect, and then make your own decision(s).