1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom is so awkward..?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LadyTalulah, Mar 18, 2017.

1. LadyTalulah

My mom has a habit of ignoring whatever she doesn't want to confront. Ever since I came out to her as bi, she has just pretended as if it never happened. I'm not looking for validation, but it hurts that she ignores that part of me.

I know she like to think of herself as open-minded, but if I talk to her about it, she gets really awkward and changes the subject. It doesn't help that I'm still not completely comfortable about it. So I only talk to her about the men I'm interested in, and not the women, which I think really just "confirms" her illusion that I'm straight.

Has anyone been through this with friends or family? How do you get past it?

2. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My mother is the same way. It's been three years since I have come out as Gay, and at times she forgets and tells me I will find a nice man. Other times, she acknowledges I am gay, and then talks to my sister how she doesn't understand it. Try to make her understand that it's no different than heterosexual love, but she is having a hard time wrapping her head around it.

I think they have to come in it on their own. I think my mother's turning point will be when I enter into a serious relationship and I choose myself (meaning, won't bring GF home if its going to be awkward) and see if she still wants to be part of my life.

3. Caribbean

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am yet to find a solution to this also. I came out as lesbian to my parents about 2 and a half years ago. My dad seems accepting but occassionally slips up and says the wrong thing. My mum on the other hand refuses to accept my past and present girlfriend. She will rarely say her name. She will refer to her as my friend or just hover around without saying friend and hope i know who she is talking about. She does not have any interest in my relationships. She has avoided meeting past girlfriends by either going out the house (which she rarely does) or she just literally ignored us.
    She has not met my present girlfriend. I find it upsetting that she behaves like this. From growing up she surely would have know I was gay it was incredibly obvious! Alot of my childhood friends have came out as gay and I think she thinks we are going through a phase.

I dont know who to deal with it. I do not have a solution either... its rubbish :/