1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't want kids, she does.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by R83, Mar 20, 2017.

1. R83

R83

Hey everyone,

This subject is probably for the slightly older crowd Or for anyone who has been in this position. I would really like to hear your thoughts and any advice!

My wife wants to try for a baby, but I don't! I have never wanted kids, it's just not in me. I don't have that maternal urge. Having kids scares the hell out of me. I have plenty of reasons for not wanting kids. But mostly it's kind of like sexuality, it's part of who I am.

She says it's just not an option for her not to at least try. I've tried to do a lot of work around this. I know I can't make myself want kids, and so I've been working on trying to accept and embrace the things I cannot change, the things that are the unknown.
    I keep telling myself 'what if it isn't so bad?' 'What if I end up liking parenthood?'.
    Inevitably though, I always end up back in the negative thought process. The worry that I'm going to end up resenting her, the baby, and the situation. Like I'm going to be living someone else's life.

Then on the flip side, if I insist that I don't want this, she will end up resenting me and being unhappy. I feel like it's going to be one of us, or the other.

I have no idea what to do