1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this actually happen in real life?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by jaysean, Mar 21, 2017.

1. jaysean

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Have you ever experienced something like this, or known someone who has experienced this. You meet someone without the intention of dating and you becomes friends, but you're both in the closet. You start developing feelings for each other but you think they're straight, and they think the same thing about you. Somehow, one of you guys builds the courage to make the first move and you end up in a relationship.

I've never been anywhere near being in a relationship and it's been something I've always thought about happening. So I was wondering if it actually happens in real life.

2. Eyerene

That's never happened to me, but maybe it happened to someone else?

3. A unicorn

It kiiiinda happend with a male friend of mine.. we were really good friends talking about everything personal having mutual good friends for 3-4 years. I thought that he always loved me as a friend because he was in a relationship with a girl for almost two years. Then a little after they broke up I hooked him up with some of my best friends and they were together for a year. But some months after their break up and while I was talking with him through messages about someone I had fallen in love and how hurtful the situation was he kinda confessed that he always liked me in the past..but I replied in a way that made it obvious that I understood that this was about the past. I didn't want him to be anything more than my friend and we continued talking about what we were talking. But if this confession was at the first 1-2 years of our friendship before he was with my friend I would have seen it different and I would probably give it a try. Although this is about a heterosexual relationship I don't think that the situation would be much different if the two persons were homosexuals in the closet. It's all about hidden feelings. Unless not too many years have passed it's not weird for such a relationship to turn romantic.

4. IrishBuddha6

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sounds like the perfect movie to me! Lol I think it really depends on location and culture of your community, after that, a heck of a lot of coincidence. I mean there are guys I've liked that were in the closet and later came out, I have no idea how they felt about me at the time though

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can happen, but I think usually there is some subconscious connection that the two people recognize in each other. While I haven't had any experiences, I have befriended guys I thought were straight only to realize they were gay when I came out to them.

6. Najlen

That exact thing did happen to me, that's kind of funny. When we met we both liked each other but also assumed that the other was straight. We got to be really close friends and then eventually did start dating, although due to some issues I had at the time it didn't last very long. We're still friends though.

7. jamescool

I'm one who is currently afraid that I'm having this same situation. :icon_sad:

8. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sure it has. The law of large numbers dictates that this and even more unlikely things are bound to happen. In fact, something like that has happened to me before and something with a potential is currently going on. First time around with a guy who I had known for 2 weeks. (It was him who actually made me question my orientation in the first place, it didn't really lead into a proper relationship as we lived in different countries.)

The second case is an ongoing situation with a friend. Long story short, I've known this guy for more than 12 years. Gradually he has taken things weirder and weirder without much objection from my part. Like, now-a-days we sleep in the same bed side-by-side (he sleeps naked) whenever we see, we talk almost every day and we have floated around the idea of getting married to save in taxes. That plus a lot more weird stuff. Like has said to me he thinks everyone is naturally bisexual and on a separate occasion he said he wouldn't fuck a guy because he has *learned* it's disgusting. I think he is probably a straight leaning bisexual as he is very active with girls. The number of girls he has fucked is probably a 3 digit number.

I'm pretty sure we could go to a relationship of some sort if I upped my game a bit: he once told his father that marriage should have nothing to do with love but with practical issues and if marriage was about love he would marry me. I was there and nearly choked as his father is pretty anti-gay but he didn't say anything. So I guess there might be some room to go further.

9. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would love something like that to happen. I have never been friends with someone before having a relationship with them.

Maybe that's why the relationships never worked

10. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before my boyfriend and I started dating, we started chatting but nothing came about. I never thought I would develop feelings for him but he's the best guy I've ever been with.

And here we are, one year later.

11. jaysean

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for all the responses guys :icon_bigg

12. CharacterStudy

I've only had it happen in hetero relationships, I think. I always tended to be friends with someone before we dated, so there were often hidden feelings.

Euler, that is one crazy set up you have there with your friend. How do you feel about all that?

13. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    well everything up till the first move and relationship yea

14. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It actually happened to me. I was working at this huge corporation where I started out in another department. However, due to a shortage in this other department, I was highly recommended to work for the President of the company with an increase in pay. This guy was very handsome and looked as if he was a featured model in GQ magazine. A lot of women within the department always drooled over this guy all the time. The thing is that he was very masculine as well as athletic and did not give off any vibe at all that he was a closeted gay man initially. In other words, he was the prime example of an All American male.

Initially, I found out one night while working late that he did not like me and thought I was not the choice that he would have chosen as his right hand man. However, after working for him for a substantial amount of time...he also mentioned to the person he was talking to that he was very impressed with my skills and that I turned out to be the best employee he ever had working by his side. To speed this story along, after having a serious disagreement which led to him assuming alternative facts about me without doing his research, after coming to a resolution, we became closer than I had imagined. In fact, we became so close that he threw me a surprise birthday party at one of the most exclusive restaurants in the city. After the party was over, he insisted that he and I go off alone because he had another surprise for me. Once being away from everyone, we started a conversation that opened the door for us to reveal our sexual identities that also resulted as the beginning of our 5 1/2 year secret relationship.

15. jaysean

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow, that's the kind of situation that I really want my first relationship to be like. If you don't mind me asking, are you still with him now? If you're not, what made you guys break-up, and what was it like having a secret relationship?