1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mother insists that I chose to be gay

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JayR, Mar 22, 2017.

1. JayR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I came out to her and said she was okay with it. Everything was fine but then she was starting to say. "I hope one day a right woman will come to love you." I've been telling her it's impossible for me to get attracted to the opposite sex but she kep insisting that I could and that she heard stories about gays falling in love wih the opposite sex. The coversation didn't turn out pleasant, voices were raised and she even started talking about seeing a psychiatrist because she thinks my gayness is just a "psychological" thing that can be stopped by will. I wanted to cry, it was a suffocating conversation. Everytime I say it's impossible she keep on saying it's my choice. I thought she could finally accept me but I was wrong. It makes me sad. I feel like I'm back to zero.

2. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are born who you are there is no therapy that can change ones DNA . The part that is important and you seem to get it is that you find who you are and accept it. As a married guy finding my sexuality as we speak the road is rough and not easy but becoming clearer by the day

3. Tlab8

aw you'll just have to show her its not a phase and over time she will see that:slight_smile:

4. smurf

Sadly, this is something that is extremely hard to change. It will take time and patience in order for her to hopefully get it someday. As hard as it might be, try not to focus on winning that fight.

My husbands dad wasn't accepting. Its been 8 years since he came out and he is now starting to get around to the idea that its okay. So yea, its a journey.

It hurts , and its sucks, but don't feel like you are back to 0. You coming out to yourself and friends its an amazing step. That courage and self-reliance that you have is not dependent on other people accepting you.

Keep the people that accept you close to you, keep making new friends, and working towards being able to be dependent on yourself.

I'm sorry that its turning out this way, but you won't be alone *hug*

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry you are stuck in that situation. It has to be terribly frustrating and devaluing.

The issue is that she is most lilely stuck in the denial phase of the stages of loss (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance). And that simply takes time to overcome.

You might simply write a letter and tell you what it feels like when she says what she says, and how it is alienating her from you, and you don't like or want that. Sometimes that can help to push people along into the next stages.

I am confident she will come around, it just may take some time.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would suggest focusing on living your life as you want it. Your mom may not be comfortable, but she will have a lot harder time denying your orientation once you start dating.