1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to talk to someone you have never met and not seem creepy

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Raydar0110, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Raydar0110

Hi,
    I don't know
    what to do when it comes to meeting new people. I already have quite a few friends but none of them are lgbt and I also want a relationship.

There is this guy on my bus home from college who is super cute and exactly my type. The closest thing to contact with him I have had is eye contact for a few seconds at a time but that's it. I don't want to seem creepy and just randomly start talking to him but I also don't want to just admire him from a distance. What do I do???

I have never really initiated conversation with people outside of school/college before and would just feel awkward. Also I don't even know if he is gay or not and if he isnt then that would be really embarrassing.

Part of me is thinking that the worst that can happen is we don't talk more than once but then I would feel really strange when I see him.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. mlansing

Initiating conversation is difficult for everyone and is definitely not a gay problem. I wouldn't worry about whether or not he's gay at first, I would just find any stupid reason to say something to him. It could be as simple as asking which stop to get off at for x, or asking him where he bought his shirt, anything really. And people honestly aren't creeped out when people ask them something random like that.

In fact, I should probably take my own advice because there are some massively hot guys at this starbucks that I'm at right now...

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2017 at 05:27 PM ----------

All right well I just did the tried and true "can you watch my laptop as I go to the bathroom" question and wasn't sensing any interest from the guy behind me so that solves that. And it's that simple :slight_smile:

3. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Besides the advice already given, next time you sit near or next to him you could just say hi and make a note that you both seem to be taking the same bus. You don't have to go all talkative mode right away but after that just greet him every time you guys see in the bus. I used to greet some of the regulars on my bus.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The basic rule for starting conversations is:

1. Find your common ground.
    2. Talk, or better yet, ask questions about your common ground.

Right now, you take the same bus from college. That's your common ground. So feel free to ask him some questions based on that. "Do you go to (college), too? I thought I was you on campus once. Hi - I'm Raydar. What courses are you taking?" might be a good starting point.

Lex

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    +1 to common ground and asking questions. The ones listed by Lexington are great, and you should also think of your own answers to the questions so you can start a real dialogue. After the school questions, you could ask him about what he does outside of school, especially activities done for fun.