1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

But I don't want to ruin the friendship...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mlansing, Mar 22, 2017.

1. mlansing

I see this again and again on this site as an excuse for not expressing one's feelings or making a move on a friend of the same sex, and I see it as just that...an excuse. It's one thing if you're not out yet and worried about word getting around, but if that's not an issue, I say ruin the friendship.

If you two are truly meant to share a long-lasting platonic friendship, your friendship will survive your expression of feelings and/or failed attempt at making a move (so long as you don't keep trying after he/she rejects you). If not, at least you'll know you tried and you can move on to find someone who will reciprocate your feelings and get out of the torturous limbo of wondering if your friend feels the same way you do.

Better to live a day as a lion than a lifetime as a lamb :thumbsup::icon_wink(&&&)

2. Najlen

That actually makes a lot of sense. The only time I would say to maybe not do that is if your friend is already dating someone else.

3. mlansing

True, but in that case you could still express your feelings and let them know that because they aren't available you'll need some space and time away from them to get over it. That way you're protecting yourself from the possibility of the person knowing you like them and stringing you along because they like the attention.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2017 at 12:09 PM ----------

And you're letting them know that the door is open if they find themselves single again.

4. mlansing

And as luck would have it I just stumbled on a great video that sums up how I feel about this. "Jenny" by Studio Killers (on youtube).

"I wanna ruin our friendship / we should be lovers instead" <3