1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I went on a date with a guy I won't see for at least 2 years

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lovetoomuch, Mar 23, 2017.

1. lovetoomuch

Honestly, knowing my personality, what I did today was probably the worst thing possible for me to do. I would describe myself as someone who gets attached quickly. If I like you and I feel a connection, I tend to fall hard. And it looks like I just set myself up for failure.

Last night I received a message from a guy on a dating app. We started with small talk and eventually exchanged social media, messaged through social media, and we seemed to click. While this is all going on, I'm fully aware this guy is in the military and will be home for 2 more days before being deployed overseas for 2 years without coming home. It was conversation though and I figured there was no harm. He eventually told me he was visiting the nearby city by himself tomorrow (now today) and asked if I wanted to join him. I originally said no because I had a job interview today and was supposed to do a lot of schoolwork.. emphasis on supposed to. We decided we could just keep in touch here and there over social media. No harm, right?

Well, I had the interview and it went really well. I am someone who often doesn't do wild things and take risks, so I decided I was going to meet this guy if he was willing to. He agreed to meeting up and I ended up driving to the city to meet him. I will start off by saying it was by far the best date of my life. No awkward silence, no arguments, no things he did that bothered me. We were flirty the whole time, bumping into each other, poking each other in sensitive spots and such, but we never did anything sexual (which I love; the way I think a date should be). We hung out for about 4-5 hours and I had the best time.

It was simple; we didn't do anything extravagant that I could say the experience was what made it so special... his company is what made it special. He was handsome, smart, a gentleman, and most importantly down-to-earth. I was in awe. I drove him home from the city just to spend more time with him. My one regret was I dropped him off without kissing them - the one thing I wanted to do.

Let's bring us back to reality: I will never see this guy again for at least another 2 years. I am quite sure he is going to move on, find someone special, and live a happy life. I'm just worried about myself. I have never experienced that butterflies feeling... I have never been on a date and been like "Wow." And here are I am, smiling like a fool about how much I loved today. I'm already attached, I know it. This isn't healthy though. This guy is never going to be here and while he seemed to be very into me as well, I fully know this cannot possibly turn into anything.

I just don't know how I'm going to get this off my mind. You know when you talk to someone and everything just seems so easy? Yeah, that describes our hours together and I feel so foolish because I am attached to a guy after 5 hours and legitimately sad I'm not going to see him for a long time (if ever again).

I'm sure he didn't look at this the same because I'm sure he is more realistic about everything, but I'm a mess of emotions right now. I could use some advice on where to go from here. Try to forget today? Use it as motivation to find a guy just as good?

Thanks for any help with this. And I apologize how foolish this all sounds - welcome to the life of an overthinker / hopeless romantic / someone who gets attached to fast.

This feels like a romance movie that isn't going to have a happy ending right now. :confused:

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your feelings for him are real. Don't suppress them. If you want, tell him how much you enjoyed the date, and maybe he will respond similarly. However, you are not a fortune-teller: maybe two years from now you and he will have an opportunity to date once again. Such meetings can happen, but you should realize it's okay if they don't. You don't get one shot at love. You may feel fully attached, but ask yourself what you are attached to: an idealized man or a real man who will have some quirks that are pros and cons.

Who can you control? Yourself. You can use him as motivation (especially to avoid guys that send red flags), but avoid direct comparisons because each person is unique. You can also focus on self-development, whether physical or mental through various activities, so that you become a better person and better partner.

3. lovetoomuch

Thank you resu for the reply. I appreciate the help, but I feel like I cannot even message him at this rate. I have been messaging first the past few days and he seems to have no interest in conversation. I just don't understand how something feels so real in the moment and then the next day it's like we barely know each other. Like I said, I understand he is probably good at not getting attached because he is always coming and going - but I'm left feeling foolish and sad.

I am now left wondering if I am emotionally unstable after all of this. The date I went on previous to this I felt a connection, but the other guy didn't. It hurt, I was annoyed, but I moved on from it within a few days. This situation... it is three days after the date and he has consumed my mind almost all day. I deleted him off social media impulsively because I couldn't stand being tortured anymore. How did I fall this quick for someone after only spending 4 hours with him? No one should feel this attached, right? I am starting to feel like there is something wrong with me. :icon_sad: