1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I tell my friend I have a crush on them?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by starmotive, Mar 24, 2017.

1. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my best friend of 10 years as a lesbian at the end of 2016. After fully embracing liking girls, it was then that I realized that the feelings that I had been having about said friend might actually be feelings of attraction.

Originally I was never going to tell the friend that I like her, because I had no reason to believe that she was interested in girls. But a few months after I came out to her, she came out to me as possibly being ace or lesbian. Now I'm reconsidering telling her about my feelings.

Problem is, we've talked about crushes and liking people before and I never got the impression that she likes me back, but lately I've been getting mixed signals from her.

Should I take the risk and tell her my feelings and run the risk of possibly losing my best friend or should I keep it a secret?

2. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She trusted you enough to come out to you as ace or gay, so really she's on the A-list of people you can talk openly to. She and you may be thinking and worrying about the same things.

But the way you sum it up in our last question... aargh it always comes down to this. When advising others, I lean toward taking the risk. Not so much in my own life, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

3. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah...I'm the same way...good at giving advice, but not so great at following my own advice.

Everything in my mind is screaming go big or go home, but do I really want to possibly throw away 10 years of friendship for the chance at something more...that's the real problem :frowning2:

Do you think that in a way she has a 'right' to know?

Can our friendship ever be the same if I do tell her and she doesn't like me back? Like is this something that can rip people apart?

I think I'm more scared of losing her as a friend than actually being rejected by her if that makes any sense...

4. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say go for it
    If she is truly your friend, than things don't have to be awkward between you all. I went thru this when I was 16 with my best friend. And we weren't friends nearly as long. He got a bit distant for a spell, he was straight, but I made myself clear that I understood if he didn't feel the same and I still wanted the friendship.
    The thought of opening up like that truly can be scary, but at least if you take the risk you never have to wonder "what if".

5. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I'm going to tell her, it's just that every time I work up to it I keep chickening out.
    Do you have any advice on how to approach such a conversation?

6. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wrote my friend a letter. I don't think I could've told him in person. And we had a mutual friend that (when he got distant) reminded him that I was still the same and still his friend no matter what.
    I think just the fact that she trusted you enough to come out about her own identity is a good sign that either way she would be understanding.

#6 angeluscrzy, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, I was in in the same situation with a friend who was between ace and gay as well. In the end, she ended up being ace (and aro- she was just confused for a while) so it didn't work out.

I told her but she obviously didn't like me back.

We are now celebrating our 10 year friendship and talking on a regular basis. She's my best friend; I don't have feelings for her anymore but she's my biggest confidant.

So it goes either way. You could keep it to yourself and hope the feeling goes away, or just tell her and take a chance. You could end up with a girlfriend. And if she isn't interested, she could still be your friend. You never know. You may need to take a break from talking to move on from the feelings but you never know what will happen if you don't try.

8. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have one idea on how you could approach this conversation...not the best and certainly not the most direct approach,...but it's one way to gauge her feelings without feeling like you have to lay it all on the line; which may make it easier.

You could simply say in the course of random conversation, 'I had this dream about you last night,' She'll ask you what it was about. You can say something along the lines that in dream you two were kissing...You'll be able to sense her reaction. (If she doesn't seem into it at all you can always play it off with a comment like, 'I know it was weird, but I always have these dreams where I am kissing different people!' or something like that, then move on to something else.) If she seems interested in the whole dream...well then you can take the conversation from there!

This was the approach my female friend used with me (in this case I WAS crushing on her too but God knows I was way too shy/scared to ever express my feelings to her!) After she told me about her dream, I said ...'oh, I've had that dream about you too...' and the conversation opened up from there. And that's how we started and our dynamic went from friendship to relationship!

I like your thought, 'go big or go home.' If my friend hadn't been the first to bring up her attraction to me, being too scared to do it myself, I NEVER would have. And I always would have wondered 'what if'--and I would have missed out on the beautiful year long relationship we had! I know bringing this topic up in any way is scary when you feel it might risk the friendship, but as the other poster suggested, you don't want to be questioning 'what if..' if you don't bring it up at all! Best of luck to you!

9. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice guys! Just a final thought, is this something that would be bettter done in person?

Just some info that might be helpful:We were friends in high school (same group of friends, same crowd, but never BEST friends). We went to different colleges and that's when we started growing closer. Now I left to go to university and we're closer than ever. So to summarize: 5 years as friends and 5 years as best friends. I guess distance does make the heart grow fonder?

What I'm trying to say is that most of our recent contact outside of holidays and summers has been via internet - I came out to her via messaging (not the bravest of me I know, but I don't think I could have done it in person lol) and she came out to me via a call.

I guess each of these 'serious' conversations have been getting more personal and I think it would be best if I told her I liked her person...what do you guys think?

10. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think in person would definitely be better. There is no way to sense tone, inflection or see body language over text!

11. mlansing

Yes, tell her, and do it in person. I told my friend I liked him and although he didn't feel the same way he was flattered and we're still friends today. A good friendship can survive an expression of romantic interest, so long as you accept whatever the answer is and not continue to harp on it after the fact. And there's always a chance she feels the same way :grin:

12. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I've more or less decided that I'm going to tell her. Just the matter of finding 'the right time and place' now :grin: