1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTM Trans Friend With Gender Dysphoria

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Eyerene, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Eyerene

My best friend who's FTM Trans once approached me over message. He said that he was scared about side effects of going on Testosterone and the fact that he read somewhere that mastectomies are more often botched for FTM trans than they are for cancer patients. (I tried to ask him for a source and if it was reliable, but he said he didn't remember.) He told me how he hates how short he is (he's only a few inches taller than me - about 5"5' or so) and the fact that men with long hair struggle to get jobs (he's the metalhead type who loves his long hair, up to the point where he hates it to be trimmed even a little bit).

I think I managed to help him a little bit last time but, I was caught off guard and wasn't sure what to say. If he approaches me again on this subject, I want to be able to help him properly. I don't want to ignore or dismiss him in his time of need, but at the same time I'm not 100% sure how to help him if he gets worried again. Any suggestions?

2. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Get him a vid of Ty Turner. That guy looked fairly well before top surgery. Maybe it could be like that in his case too?

Also he should get some height increasing insoles, they work very well with doc Martens and also cheat for taller feat because of the size of the insoles.

What kind of job does he want? It really depends on the job and as another metal dude I can tell you, hair is not a problem. Our tattoos or piercings are.

3. Eyerene

Ooo, good idea. I'll tell him to Google Ty Turner and look into height increasing insoles.

He's looking for a job in engineering or scientific research. He's already been accepted into schooling and research at a nearby university, so education for the field won't be a problem. He's more worried about being able to get a job after to pay off the inevitable student loans.

---------- Post added 29th Mar 2017 at 02:50 PM ----------

He's not too interested in piercings I don't think. He's more interested in tattoos. As long as he chooses a spot where it wouldn't be too visible, I don't think it will impact him too much.

4. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Scientists are nuts, trust me. Sure when you see them in the media they're clean-cut types, but the researchers?? The researchers are quirky as hell. I doubt long hair and tattoos will prevent him from getting research work.

That said, research work has dry spells. As an undergrad, you get hired for specific projects, which can last a few months or a few years. Sometimes they cut back if they don't need as many researchers as they originally hired. A friend of mine is in physics, and after being unemployed for over half a year, she went to grad school to up her chances of landing more lucrative research work,

5. Eyerene

Okay thanks, clockworkfox. I'll pass that information along to him.

He plans on getting further in school than an undergraduate program (although I'm not sure if he's looking forward to a Master's or Doctorate's degree), but I'll be sure to let him know anyway.